Ubuntu Dapper 6.06 is released

might? II don't think there's room for any other option, unless they want to continue to fail.
I think there is an option: Test the current scheme for a year, evaluate it thoroughly and if that fails, create an enterprise release that is ready when it's ready. Much like Debian stable and RHEL. If the tests show a rather positive result (broad acceptance by businesses), then they could stick to the current scheme. But my suggestion would be to stick to the 6 month schedule for home-desktops and release a separate enterprise version every one or two years. But then... it is their decision, not mine. :rolleyes:
They grew too fast and furious, got big headed, and tried to take big boy steps when they still needed to take baby steps.
Agreed, although I think that they were a bit big headed from the very beginning.

That's crazy...test for a year?. Based on my on personal experiences with Mark, I'd say he'll press on with the current process and improve on it. That's a good plan, and he is a smart man, IF the good and bad are called correctly. From what I have seen, that is not the case, and that pisses a lot of people off, so you lose good people. Then a lot of time is wasted on the next release bringing people into the ubuntu process. That would make the plan very bad, and you've seen the end result. Will it happen again? We'll see, but I won't have any part of it.

Take the art team. The way he finally wants it ran is what I've been screaming for for since warty, but it takes a lot of time, and it's hard to find people that have that kind of time that can work for free because we have jobs and lives. If you want tope notch results, you gotta be willing to show the $. Did Apple find a few wannabe themers and say 'hey, make us a desktop theme'. No they found designers and artist and showed some $. Otherwise you get half baked art. If I had the time, I'd love to participate in the Edgy art process, but I do not have that kind of free time. Throughout the dapper devel process I laughed at people trying to compare dapper with vista. Please people, even with xgl/aixgl and compix it's not even in the same ballpark and you gotta be in the same ballpark to play ball with the big boys. It's no diff than marketing. If you don't show the $, forget it.

Edited by bvc

Throughout the dapper devel process I laughed at people trying to compare dapper with vista. Please people, even with xgl/aixgl and compix it's not even in the same ballpark and you gotta be in the same ballpark to play ball with the big boys. It's no diff than marketing. If you don't show the $, forget it.
Agreed. I didn't understand either, why people tried to compare Linux systems at all cost to Apple or Windows, if the whole structure, goals, ideals and funding were and are different.

Agreed, I don't understand why people are comparing between the two. I want ubuntu to be ubuntu, not a microsoft clone. But I think it's a tendense which you can mainly find among newcomers to the linux world.

By the way, I'm an optimist, they tend to live longer :cheesy:

I completely concur with that Arctic. I tried installing it on several pc´s but the case is that with about 80% of the installer of the ¨desktop¨-cd, it completely freezes. And only switching th power off and on solves the problem. I really think they stil have some serious issues.

Use the alternate Ubuntu installer CD. There's some problems with the new gui installer and its components. The alternate uses text installer.