Ubuntu Dapper 6.06 is released

I am on Dapper also since flight 5 and Cooker since about feb., luckily Dapper is stable now as Cooker is getting very experimental these days...

There´s just one thing w/ Dapper since yesterday my bootsplash stopped working :S

From what I read about it so far (e.g. at distrowatch), there still seem to be some major bugs open that were supposed to be fixed. Is the release really that bad? I can hardly imagine that as they took some extra time for ironing out many bugs. :unsure: If the release is really that buggy, then I am really surprised.

I completely concur with that Arctic. I tried installing it on several pc´s but the case is that with about 80% of the installer of the ¨desktop¨-cd, it completely freezes. And only switching th power off and on solves the problem. I really think they stil have some serious issues.

I'm dialup so...I won't be clean installing and it'll be a while before I upgrade everyhting, but yes, much was left undone. If you know ubuntu's devel process, it's really not suprising.

Edited by bvc

IMHO it is a bit surprising as this release was expected to start their enterprise business, and they took the extra time in order to make sure that the release is enterprise ready. And what do they deliver? Something that apparently is not Enterprise-ready.

Now that they couldn't live up to their own set high standards/goals shows me that they might need to rethink their Enterprise model, much like Red Hat did. Split RH into RHEL and Fedora. Let's see how they will handle this...

What worries me most is: taking into account that much of the media focused on Ubuntu lately, the serious bugs in 6.06 and the spreading of word about them will only hurt the overall Linux image, I guess. For many, who never heard of Linux before, Ubuntu IS Linux. Yeah, I'm a pessimist. :rolleyes:

Ah, the world´s introduction to win98 was a bsod, and still everybody bought it. But indeed I wonder how much the installer was tested, because I downloaded Kubuntu Dapper Flight 5 and that didn´t include an install option.

IMHO it is a bit surprising as this release was expected to start their enterprise business, and they took the extra time in order to make sure that the release is enterprise ready. And what do they deliver? Something that apparently is not Enterprise-ready.
they took extra time because there was no other choice if even to have half a distro

Now that they couldn't live up to their own set high standards/goals shows me that they might need to rethink their Enterprise model, much like Red Hat did. Split RH into RHEL and Fedora. Let's see how they will handle this...
might? II don't think there's room for any other option, unless they want to continue to fail.

What worries me most is: taking into account that much of the media focused on Ubuntu lately, the serious bugs in 6.06 and the spreading of word about them will only hurt the overall Linux image, I guess. For many, who never heard of Linux before, Ubuntu IS Linux. Yeah, I'm a pessimist. :rolleyes:
Won't hurt linux. Ubuntu simply delivered what was expected. Sure ain't gonna help though. Yeah, I'm also a pessimist :rolleyes: They grew too fast and furious, got big headed, and tried to take big boy steps when they still needed to take baby steps. Edited by bvc