Laptop DVD ROM shows error [solved]

Guest tinks

Guest tinks

I have been using linux for more than 3 years. I started with Mandrake 9 and now staying with Mandriva 2006. But i have few problems with the present distro on my HP NX6120 laptop. No other distro is showing such an ' unharmful error' (i think so) about my laptop DVD-R from sony. I am pasting the specified part of dmesg :

hdb: drive_cmd: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }

hdb: drive_cmd: error=0x04 { AbortedCommand }

ide: failed opcode was: 0xec

This error message is shown during system boot and shutdown. Sometimes a few CDs fails to open with the present DVD-R. Other than this, no visible problem so far.

Is this is a major issue?. Is it reveals some thing wrong with my DVD drive?. Do i have to change the DVD-R?. If there is any way to correct the problem and also to turn off this message?

Welcome to the board :beer:

No, it's not serious, it happens on all my laptops too. There is a service called laptop-mode, which is causing these errors, probably because of the lack of a CD in the drive or something.

The service is to help the laptop to perform better, in the sense of extending the life of the battery. At least what I gather anyhow.

I did disable this service, and found the errors stopped, but since it extends the life of the battery, i re-enabled it, and I just ignore the errors.