Best book for Mandriva Linux 2005 LE?

tech291083

hi,

i have just installed Mnadriva Linux 2005 limited edition on my pc and i m lookinf for the best book based on this version of linx, but so far i have not been able to find out any. i would appreciate if someone can find me a book that is a best resource for this version of the os.it does not matter if its manin focus is on another version of the past.cheers.

[moved from Installing Mandriva by spinynorman]

I bought "Linux in a Nutshell" which is a really good book, but is distro independent, so you can use it for any version of Linux.

This would help you understand more about Linux without tying you to a particular flavour of distro.

I've heared of "Linux in a nutshell" but never seen it.

My local book store has quite a few Linux books, and you probably will find one in your town. They usually don't mind if you page through them without buying. You may like to go to your local library, or to a library of a university. You can read for free there, or just check out what and if you want to buy from somewhere else. Another good source is one of the better Linux magazines, maybe like Linux Format if you live in the UK. Also, do check if you have the Mandriva documentation installed. Thats what I would look at first. Now that should get you started. Good luck!

Cheers,

Helmut

Edited by Helmut

I have "Linux in a nutshell" as I mentioned earlier. However, I've hardly read it, if at all. Referred to it now and again, but for very little.

Most of what I found out comes from searching here, posting here, or using google. The book is handy though if you want to read about something that you wouldn't necessarily know what to search for. But then, if you post here on what you're trying to achieve, most would be able to point you in the right direction and give suggestions to solve your problem.

As helmut proposed the linux.format mag is really good has lots of info on the programs and then some indepth stuff for the more skilled.

http://www.linuxformat.co.uk/

I get it sent to the Philippines and the delivery is fantastic.. They have other versions as well for non-english speakers, i think..

The other one which is good and free is

http://www.tuxmagazine.com/

Does not go much into things like the kernel but has some good articles on the programs..

This web site should cover most things directly related to Mandriva.

Just a shame that of the four on offer, two are only in French, one refers to Mandrake 10.1 (!) and the other one is download only (20MB pdf). Missed opportunity perhaps? Maybe a general linux book is more useful than a Mandriva 2005/2006 book anyway though.

I like the look of that rute link, thanks!

rute is a classic reference

http://wwwacs.gantep.edu.tr/docs/rute/

If you want the "offline" version:

urpmi rute

and you'll have a pdf locally to read from in /usr/share/doc/rute-0.9.1/rute.pdf (depending on version numbering)