Updated two days ago and several problems

Steve Scrimpshire

All of these problems were 'repairable' to some degree, but ever since doing urpmi --auto --auto-select two days ago, I now have several major problems and I'm not sure where to report them, if they are interconnected, etc.

To start with, I read on here that there was a possibility with the very latest kernel to be able to give up ndiswrapper and go native with my Motorola FD5700 (I think):

Identification
Vendor: ‎Broadcom Corp.
Description: ‎BCM94306 802.11g NIC
Media class: ‎NETWORK_OTHER
Connection
Bus: ‎PCI
Bus PCI #: ‎6
PCI device #: ‎0
PCI function #: ‎0
Vendor ID: ‎5348
Device ID: ‎17184
Sub vendor ID: ‎4183
Sub device ID: ‎28709
Misc
Module: ‎bcm43xx

At first, it didn't work, so I did the urpmi --auto --auto-select and then things got really crazy. X no longer starts at boot (I had auto-login enabled) and I cannot get it to. Now, when I do startx, Fluxbox starts like it should, but it doesn't read ~/.fluxbox/startup like it used to and I have to source it manually.

No wireless connection even after uninstalling ndiswrapper, reinstalling and reinstalling my driver from disk. I discovered that there is no longer a pcmcia service and pcmcia, pcmcia_core, and yenta_socket modules are not get loaded, so I had to put them in /etc/modprobe.preload.

There is also no longer a cardctl command, but appears to be a pccardctl command that does the same thing....but that's trivial.

Any thoughts on where to go from here with either problem?

With all this I have completely gotten sidetracked on whether or not the new kernel's modules support my wireless card :D

Edited by Steve Scrimpshire

I think last week, someone posted about this. Xorg7 is currently broken in Cooker, and not sure when it's due to be fixed. I'm not sure if you can back-track out of any of the upgrades you've made and put the previous xorg back.

The only thing I can think of if the machine isn't too critical, is hope that the fixes will be released soon for xorg7 to allow you to start using your machine again.

I think last week, someone posted about this. Xorg7 is currently broken in Cooker, and not sure when it's due to be fixed. I'm not sure if you can back-track out of any of the upgrades you've made and put the previous xorg back.

The only thing I can think of if the machine isn't too critical, is hope that the fixes will be released soon for xorg7 to allow you to start using your machine again.

Its sorta fixed again, some minor issues still remain though (like some fonts dont render and multimedia keys are not working correctly)

I was having some problems as well but it has been a smoother move than in the past.

I had no problems with the Xorg stuff but with KDE items..

I have not paniced as it is working and i see there are more updates to be completed.

I think what they have done with the X and splitting it up more is a good idea..

Well, at least X was working for me, but now not at all. I am on a LiveCD right now and no time to locate the errors and post them, but I updated again this afternoon about 7 hours ago.

Edit: Found the errors:

(II) LoadModule: "vesa"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/vesa_drv.so
(II) Module vesa: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
	compiled for 7.0.0, module version = 1.0.1
	Module class: X.Org Video Driver
	ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 0.8
(EE) module ABI major version (0) doesn't match the server's version (1)
(II) UnloadModule: "vesa"
(II) Unloading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/vesa_drv.so
(EE) Failed to load module "vesa" (module requirement mismatch, 0)

This happens when I try any driver.

Apparently this is what I had in ~/.xinitrc:

[root@localhost omar]# cat .xinitrc

/usr/X11R6/bin/fluxbox

So that would explain that fluxbox problem..

Edited by Steve Scrimpshire

Hello Steve. Aren't LiveCDs fantastic???

I had a Raid 1 setup with my 2 new SATAs and wanted to cancel the Raid but wasn't sure if I would lose data, namely a whole load of legit music downloads that were only a day old and not backed up. I had 2006 setup and made the mistake of downloading a bit of stuff from cooker for a couple of applications. When I rebooted it repeatedly stalled at a point saying it had to disable irqs for No.3 and No.14. Nothing I tried would work so decided to throw in the 2006 Install DVD and do a dummy upgrade, but that failed as well saying OOPs no root partition found.

In with the latest Mandriva Live 1 and copied the music stuff to a DVD-RW and was home and away. Did a reinstall and found that all the previously mirrored data on the Secondary SATA was still all there so the burn to DVD was in reality unnecessary. But the fact that I could do it gave great peace of mind, I can tell you.

By the way the great Music site I discovered is KAHVI and it is entitely independant stuff from all around the world. It is available as MP3 and OGG. If you like stuff you can buy it as well to support the artists. There is a huge variety so you are bound to find a lot that you will like.

Cheers. John.

if it's happening with any xorg driver, it's unrelated to nvidia.

as you've seen, xorg7.0 is modular, and mandrake's packages blow. the mandrake packages havn't updated the relevant xorg drivers, to a working version compatibile with the xserver you have installed. so you're up shit creek untill they fix it and release updated versions, or you downgrade to something slightly saner.

James

The drivers were updated, so download those from cooker but BE CAREFULL because gtk and gnome are broken currently, don´t auto update :(

Oopsie. auto-updated and got X back. No major problems from GTK yet. Ugly black borders on GTK apps like sylpheed and firefox, but other than that, ok.