weird FC5 network behaviour

Hi!

I've been running FC5 since its' release date and I've noticed that sometimes, maybe once in 20 days the network disappears.

I think it has been in the moments when I have a hard network use, like torrents, etc.

I can connect, reconnect, etc - nothing happens, although the connection in my network config is labeled as active.

I've usually solved the problem by plugging/unplugging my network cable and doing a few network restarts, to fix the issue (usually takes some frustrating 20 minutes).

Meanwhile on the same internet connection at the same time my small sister's windows pc has no network problems.

Do any of you have the same problem?

I'm labeling this as FC5, because nothing like that (sudden network disappearance) happened when I was using Mandriva and Kanotix.

While I don't think that anyone here can help me with this, I"m just curious, if I'm the only one to "suffer" this. :D

Edited by solarian

Arctic's been suffering some FC5 issues with some machines. He said FC4 was better, and that he thought FC5 had gone down in terms of it's stability compared to before.

Unfortunately, I don't use it, so don't have any personal experience of this. Just what I read here. His FC5 Bordeaux review had a post in it recently where he mentioned some of this.

Yea, FC5 is far from perfect, but it's the best from the choices available to me, since I'm boycotting Mandriva on moral and political grounds. :P Says a law student.

p.s. I love 'yum update' and hope that FC6 will be better.

Edited by solarian

I'd be tempted to have a look in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts to see what the interface files have in them, see if anything is weird there. Although, just a thought, can't say for sure if anything odd is in there :P

I´ve been running FC5 on three pcs now, for the past 4 or 5 weeks, and I´m not experiencing any network-problems what so ever. Makes me wonder if this is a network-card problem. Did you have any problems with this network-card before, with lets say MDV?

My FC5 box (I have recently reduced the number of FC5 computers to one box now, the rest is running Mdv2006), I did not experience any such problems. My problems were mainly caused by other broken "upgrade" packages (like cups).

Have you checked if there is something similar reported in Red Hat's bugzilla? Maybe it is related to the new NetworkManager, which, as it is very new, could be buggy in some area. But you should definitely check your base system. Maybe it's a minor config error. /var/log is always a good start.