KDE System Guard, security and ports

laiback

I just found out, mDNSResponder is responsible for the 5335 port being open on the machine. I disabled it on mine, and now the port disappeared.

Not noticed any adverse affects, so assume it's easy enough to stop. It's apparently something to do with HOWL and zeroconf across networks. Not necessarily required, I'm not using zeroconf on my machine anyway, and doubt many people would be.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have done as you suggested and 5335 has gone now, leaving me with just ipp and x11.

Output from netstat -tan below.

[root@localhost david]# netstat -tan
Active Internet connections (servers and established)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address			   Foreign Address			 State
tcp		0	  0 0.0.0.0:6000				0.0.0.0:*				   LISTEN
tcp		0	  0 0.0.0.0:631				 0.0.0.0:*				   LISTEN
tcp		0	  0 :::6000					 :::*						LISTEN

Down to just 2 now, it gets better and better.

Gratitude from this end.

These are safe enough to leave open. Just use shorewall to protect the machine. Go into "Configure Your Computer" and security section to set the firewall up if you need it.

Could the mDNSResponder have something to do with printing internet pages from my browser. When I disabled it I also lost this facility?. The browser if Firefox.

In that case, stopping mDNSresponder should not have affected printing... Is only printing from Firefox affected? Can you print from other applications?

Yes other applications seem OK, just a Firefox problem. I find reading the screens difficult, so prefer to print useful bits and read them quietly away from the pc.

I find reading the screens difficult, so prefer to print useful bits and read them quietly away from the pc.

There is nothing wrong with that :D

That's good that you can print from other apps, the problem could then be with how Firefox is set up. Go to Firefox -> Print, what does the line "Printer name" show? Can you try selecting a different printer? For instance, on my system I have two entries for the default printer, one of them says "Postscript/default", and another says "CUPS/my_printer_name"

I find reading the screens difficult, so prefer to print useful bits and read them quietly away from the pc.

There is nothing wrong with that :D

I have Postscript/lp and nothing else.

I have reinstalled Firefox which seems to have brought printing back, well for now anyway.

Strange thing, it printed landscape and nothing I did would change it. Solved it now by changing the setting within Kwrite !!

Odd this Linux. Still making progress, slowly.

One of the main problems seems to be.....where are the controls...or...where are the master controls.

That's weird.... You can access FF settings by typing about:config in the URL line, then you should be able to change settings. I would try directly specifying the paper layout in the lp command. Your observation actually reminded me, I can't make FF change the default paper size from US letter to A4.

That's weird.... You can access FF settings by typing about:config in the URL line, then you should be able to change settings. I would try directly specifying the paper layout in the lp command. Your observation actually reminded me, I can't make FF change the default paper size from US letter to A4.

Lucky for me I can change to A4, I would be so annoyed if I couldn't.

about:config.....what is all that...my goodness, line and lines of odd settings or something. Did I go to the correct place?

Hardly dare touch that lot.

I'm running a Samsung ML-1610 which allows for various sizes, including A4, the dafult is letter however.

Getting landscape instead of portrait is sometimes an issue. I get the TUX magazine and would like to print it, it needs landscape, but will XPDF switch to printing it, no no no. It doesn't seem to matter where you put the setting it still comes out portrait. I have to go to XP and run my Adobe from there...oh the horror of it all. I'm just glad nobody is watching!

So, the problem is printing pdf documents, which I understand you open within FF using the xpdf plugin or xpdf application! Is that correct? In that case the problem has little to do with FF. Try switching to Adobe REader for Linux plugin for FF. On my system, I removed PDF plugins and open PDF documents externally using Adobe Reader. Then you can print in any format etc.

So, the problem is printing pdf documents, which I understand you open within FF using the xpdf plugin or xpdf application! Is that correct? In that case the problem has little to do with FF. Try switching to Adobe REader for Linux plugin for FF. On my system, I removed PDF plugins and open PDF documents externally using Adobe Reader. Then you can print in any format etc.

Is Adobe Reader XPDF?, if so then I have it and that's what causing the problem. Don't have plugins for FF, or at least not to my knowledge. If you have to add them after installation then I don't have them as I haven't touched it.

Is Adobe Reader XPDF?, if so then I have it and that's what causing the problem. Don't have plugins for FF, or at least not to my knowledge. If you have to add them after installation then I don't have them as I haven't touched it.

No, xpdf is a different application. The command for Adobe Reader is acroread. To see if you have it installed, type in the command line prompt:

which acroread

If the answer is "No acroread in: ....", it's not installed. Install it, the latest version is Adobe Reader 7 for Linux. You may find the previous version (Adobe acrobat reader for Linux 5.x) much faster, though it's not as pretty. For both versions, there must be Mandriva rpms around (perhaps in contrib?). I installed the version from Adobe website, works just fine for me.