I'm new to linux [solved]

bilbo

:D thank you it worked ! but i had to sign in under root ? well i didnt know root was the same as adminisrator and typing root in was kinda strange but never the less your instuctions worked and im now able to veiw web pages with flash in them.

i also managed to download from Easy-Urpmi and was totally suprised by the ammount of software. i think linux contains a hidden virus and i may have caught it lol :thanks:

:D thank you it worked ! but i had to sign in under root ? well i didnt know root was the same as adminisrator and typing root in was kinda strange but never the less your instuctions worked and im now able to veiw web pages with flash in them.

you mean, you sign in as root in order to browse? not good.. or maybe you just have to sign in as root when installing th eflash plugin?.

btw. in firefox 1.5, you dont need to manually extract the flash plugin, it will inform you that there is a missing plugin and need to be installed... but, you cant install firefox 1.5 on RPM, so you have to download it from firefox download page.. extract the tgz file.. move it to where you will be able to run it.. but really.. correct me if im wrong, but try to avoid browsing as root... :P

you mean, you sign in as root in order to browse?

I think he may mean that he had to sign in as root to copy the files?.

Glad you got it working bilbo, and yes, I was also totally blown away when I first seen all the software you could get through the repositories, still amazes me. Stick with it, and just try to solve all your problems one by one, keep chipping away, its a good learning experience. And don't worry too much if you stuff things up, it easy to reinstall, and you'll find you do things better next time ;)

Have fun.

I second that, I've lost count at how many times I installed and reinstalled when I started using Mandriva the beginning of last year. Makes you more comfortable, and you can streamline the install and become more comfortable with it and knowing what you're doing.

Saying that, it's not very often you would really need to install, since unlike Windows, most if not all problems can be resolved without the need to reinstall. But sometimes it's just required ;)

btw. in firefox 1.5, you dont need to manually extract the flash plugin, it will inform you that there is a missing plugin and need to be installed... but, you cant install firefox 1.5 on RPM, so you have to download it from firefox download page.. extract the tgz file.. move it to where you will be able to run it.. but really.. correct me if im wrong, but try to avoid browsing as root... :P

btw, you actually can install Firefox 1.5.0.3 as RPM. Check SeerOfSouls and RPM.pbone.net. :thumbs:

Second thing, I thought that Mandriva includes Flashplayer and Java RPMs only on those non-free cds. I mean Powerpack and Powerpack+. So they aren't downloadable from Easy-Urpmi mirrors. Correct me if I'm wrong.

And bilbo, ShockwavePlayer isn't available on Linux at all. Just wanted to mention so you don't start searching it. I've searched it without any results.

Edited by Murda

hi all,

yeah it was flash player that was not installed as i was unable to see websites in flash, and no flash doesnt come on the free disc. uhmm as for signing in as root that was only to copy files over.Although whats the difference between running windows under full admin and running linux under root !!!! apart from i dont know what im doing with linux lol so its probably safer at this point :unsure:. I am liking linux though as I am now going to give the computer acces to the internet via wireless as this is my number4 computer.

You really don't need to log in as root to copy files over that need root permission.

Now I know you are new, but you can use the "cp" command from within a terminal.

Goes something like this....

Fire up the computer and log in as your regular user that you created on the install of mandrake. Open a terminal and type "su" That will give you super users or root power after you type in the password that you gave for root on the install. Remember that on the install it asked for a password for root to do system changes and such and a password for the user (you). Now even though you are root you are still in your users (you) /home directory.

Now after you are super user or root you can use the "cp" command to copy files ( the mv command is almost the same excpet instead of copying files you are moving them) say from your (user) /home dir. to the directories owned by root, or that are in the root file system. It would look something like this...

cp ./name/of/file (space) /usr/bin In this instance you are copying something from within your user (you) directory to the /usr/bin directory which is owned by root. You can also move yourself to a directory owned by root after the su command and the "cp' a file from one directory owned by root to another. Looks something like this...

cd /usr/bin (cd=change directory or move YOU from one directory to another you need to work in) That will move you from your /home/user directory to the /usr/bin directory owned by root. This using this command you can copy something needed from the /usr/bin to say the /etc directory..

cp ./name/of/file (space) /etc.

Hope I didn't confuse you and hope I read the posts right before typing all of this. From what I seen you are actually logging in as root. Most will tell you that is a no-no and I know of one here that says "bah" to the dangers of logging in as root. :lol2:

Here is a nice link for all the linux commands...

http://www.ss64.com/bash/

Again hope I didn't make things worse. :D

Ahh right yeah i see what you are saying!! this root thing is best stayed away from well it was the only way i could get it to work at the time but i will take your advice and not use the root login, and now i will use the su over ride command, its just that linux is nothing like windows uhmm thats probably a good thing ehh! oh thanks for the shortcut to commands list i have saved it.regards bilbo.