themes

studmuffin007

The tar.gz should have a set of install instructions in it. If not then "BAD FORM!" to the package distributors. Anyway failing that the websites should have installation instructions on there somewhere (I know that gnome-look and KDE-look both do.

Another thing you can try is opening up the theme manager and draggin'-and-droppin' the tar.gz into the list of themes. This works on Gnome, maybe KDE has implemented the same functionality...

Nate

What is so special about the tar theme packages that you want to go through the drama of compiling a tar package when you have barely got the gist of how Linux works at this early stage of your experience ???.

There are any number of themes for KDE (and Gnome) in Mandriva to choose from that are in rpm form.

I know some purists will say that is the great way to go to learn Linux. Most geeks say that, it is what you expect of them.

I suggest you first learn how to find, download and install rpms first then gradually learn to install tar program packages with all the difficulties of looking for dependencies and so on. That way you will still learn but you will be enjoying using your Linux while you are at it.

Cheers. John.

Edited by AussieJohn

..... why do we always ignore the simplest solution? KISS guys.

Both KDE and GNOME, in the appropriate theme dialogs have "Install" buttons.

Download your theme.

Go to respective theme interface, use "install theme..." in gnome, and point to the downloaded tar.gz

In kde, for colours and icons, there's import and install buttons under Appearance & Themes, then the appropriate section.

Select new theme.

For theme engines (styles in KDE), in most cases there's an rpm available, which you can download, then just double click, enter your root password, and let it install. Alternatively, go to mandrake control center, software management, install new software and search for it there.

James

well thank 4 the help but i am still none the wiser ive DL some more themes tell me to place them here /home/user/.kde/share/applnk/.hidden (where's that) and 1 here /usr/share/apps/kicker/pics i'm totally lost unlike windows linux will not show me the root drive it shows me my windows partitions but not the one mandriva is installed on so i'm still stuck

any advice

thanks in advance

Studmuffin

I have looked at the theme you mentioned above, the readme states that you have to run the install script (install.sh)

Probably the easiest way for you to do this (feel free to slap me if this is at all patronising of me :P ) is to double click on the tar.gz, this should open the file extractor (I can't remember the default for KDE, but double clicking should bring it up), extract the contents to your home folder. Then using the file browser go to the directory that contains the extracted files, there you should see the file named install.sh. All going well, right click within the window and select "open here in terminal". This will give you a command prompt, type "su" and enter the administrator password you set, then type "./install.sh", this should install the theme for you and it should be available for you from the KDE control centre.

I hope that this helps