Internet Browser

Guest BlackxxJapan

I've tried most of the browsers mentioned so far, and to date links2 -g (the '-g' switch is for graphics mode, leave off for text-only mode) is hands down the fastest, lightest graphical browser I've used. Also the best text browser I've used. Links2 supports ssl & javascript, but not java plugins.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm.... The links2 graphics-capable rpm could also be named something like "links-2.1xxxx" like the version I'm writing this with is. If you install the graphics-capable version it'll launch in text mode with 'links' or 'links -g' for graphical mode.

You're right, links can be very handy when you bork X. So is Midnight Commander.

The MC texteditor is actually vi itself! :D

You just don't have to remember the vi keystrokes.

Which is the thing I hate about any program, remembering keystrokes, I mean remembering keystrokes is so 1985*....

(* the year before amiga was launched, iirc)

Guest BlackxxJapan

Hmmm [i've read all the posts]. It looks like Dillo seems to be the lightest/fastest browser, so I might go with that one.

The problem seems to be that my browsing is pretty slow on Linux compared to linux, yet my downloads are faster XD [irony for you.]

Maybe just using Firefox with the tweaks may work out in the end, I'm not sure.

screcrow said:

The MC texteditor is actually vi itself!

It's actually called mcedit, and I'd have to do some checking to be absolutely sure, but I don't believe it's based on vi at all.

ffi said:

Which is the thing I hate about any program, remembering keystrokes, I mean remembering keystrokes is so 1985*....

It may be 1985, but it's by far faster than mousing around for most common tasks. If users would learn keystrokes, they could have much simpler systems and get a lot more done. GUIs are better for some things, but generally I try to avoid GUI interfaces, which is easier to do with Linux. If only Windoze had some of the great text apps available in Linux - like MC!

To each his own, it was only last year (i bought my first computer in 1984, when i was 10) i learned ctrl-v and the other one (forgot already for copying and pasting) but that was only because I had to work with Oracle which doesnt have a right click context menu.

It's actually called mcedit, and I'd have to do some checking to be absolutely sure, but I don't believe it's based on vi at all.

There is no actual binary named mcedit. It is just a symlink to the MC internal editor, which is named "cooledit", and it's one hundred percent vi based.