Internet Browser

Guest BlackxxJapan

Guest BlackxxJapan

I'm looking for a very light-weight fast browser for Mandriva 2006. I've been using Firefox 1.0.6 but it's been really slow. Firefox 1.5 did marginally better. Flock was, eh.

Anyone know of a good internet browser that will go prett fast? Preferably under 3 MB and has a GUI.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Konqueror is an Internet Browser, have you tried it? :P

ok, he said a lightweight browser. and i imagine he wants a good one too. konqueror is definitely not what he's looking for...

aside from paul's suggestion, there's also dillo and i hear epiphany is pretty lightweight. also, here are some tips on how to speed up firefox.

Another vote for Epiphany - it doesn't get much lighter than that ;)

I still use Firefox msotly, but I also had good experiences with Opera. On paper, Opera is not "light" but it certainly feels like it in use. Loads very quickly, is highly customisable and looks good (with some tweaking :P )

Apple should port Safari to other platforms - definately right up there for me. I find myself using it more than Firefox of late.

Another vote for Epiphany - it doesn't get much lighter than that ;)

I still use Firefox msotly, but I also had good experiences with Opera. On paper, Opera is not "light" but it certainly feels like it in use. Loads very quickly, is highly customisable and looks good (with some tweaking :P )

Apple should port Safari to other platforms - definately right up there for me. I find myself using it more than Firefox of late.

Opera for me, and you are right, on paper its not lightweight but in actual tests, it is the fastest

http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/browserSpeed.html

So actually you get the best of both worlds, speed and features :)

BTW: isn´t Safari based on Konqueror, at least the rendering engine KHTML?

edit: and isn´t Epiphany just a frontend (simplified skin) for FF

edit2: oh contrary to popular believe Mozilla (Seamonkey) actually is faster than FF, read the link for an explanation of why)

Edited by ffi

If you're using KDE as it is, you may as well use konqueror, despite what tyme says, it's quite a capable browser.

ff1: Safari's rendering engine webcore, was originally based on KHTML.

epiphany isnt a frontend to Firefox, it just uses the gecko engine, as used by firefox, and other browsers.

what do you mean by 'fast' anyway? it's pretty generic. startup speed? rendering speed? page load speed?

if it's the latter two, it could even be your net connection slowing you down, and changing a browser won't really do all that much.

for firefox, give the fasterfox extension a try and make sure prefetching is off, which it is by default. (no debates over fasterfox here - not relevant)

James

One note on dillo. I had to install it for someone else one time. It does not support ssl by default. You have to compile it in.

depending on the appropriate distro's packages... I'd expect most distros would compile such support in.