belkin set up

studmuffin007

Ok after a lot of searching on the net i think i may of found the right driver for my belkin F5D7000 wireless network card i installed it using ndiswrapper now i have a little window called network & internet configuration

its asking for a host name (what do i type in) DNS server 1 has (192.168.1.2) typed in by default at the bottom i have chosen wlan0: broadcom corp. |BCM94306 802.11g NIC as my wireless card

is there any one out ther who can easly walk me through this process as i have been @ it for quite a while

thanks in advance

ps i use aol as my isp

OK i think i have it working but on the signal strength i only have 1 bar i go to configure it and my wep key is in lower case i change it to upper and after i press ok it resets it to lower case and in order for it to connect i need the wep keys to be in upper case is ther a way of setting it so the wep keys stay uppercase

thanks in advance

uppercase/lowercase shouldnt make a difference if you're using a hex wep key, it still works out to the same thing in the end.

make sure you set it to automatically get an IP, rather than specifying DNS and hostname and things yourself.

James

there is a difference between the WEP key and the Passphrase. The Passphrase is case sensitive, and is what is used to generate the actual WEP key (which is hex) - make sure you enter the proper one of these two.

for installing software look into mandriva control center (aka "configure your computer) under software, install software. also, be sure to use easy-urpmi to configure some extra sources that have more software available.

for installing software look into mandriva control center (aka "configure your computer) under software, install software. also, be sure to use easy-urpmi to configure some extra sources that have more software available.

will that help me install software that was inteded for windows but also writen for linux

flash you can get from one of those sources IIRC (just search for flash). bitcomet isn't available in linux but there are other torrent programs available. i use azureus, personally. and wine should be in those sources if it isn't on your cd.

if you go where I mentioned in Mandrake Control Center you can search for software. Most software is available through these means and this is the best and easiest way to get it.

in other news, AOL is quite possibly the worst ISP in existence and you really should look for a different provider.

i will look for torrent software for linux soon and AOL i have to agree with you is the worst ISP and i am looking for another ISP but with broadband there r so many to choose from thinking of going to BT (uk)

ill post here on how i get on with the software

thanks

Edited by spinynorman

I used to use BT. However, I'd recommend Demon Internet, you can get a static ip address with them if you choose the right package, like home office or something like that.

Also, they have Brightmail Spam filtering devices for free, I don't know any other ISP that offers spam filtering for free. Bargain, and great. I always used them, but I've used BT too.

Ive looked a demon not some time ago and bulldog madasafish ect and there either not available in my area or there's a DL limit just think this week alone ive DL suse live/full, mandriva live/full, ubuntu live/full as i write this i am DL linspire live also linux xp the latter 2 i dont think i will use fully or keep so i need a ISP with no caps well at least untill i can figure out linux BT are doing a good offer of 40gig a month DL limit which aint bad once ive finished DL different linux distros

thanks

ps if linux is free whow come linspire choose to charge? (lets hope not all linux distros go the same way)

Linux is free as in speech, not necessarily free as in beer. What makes linux free is that companies choose to provide it for free because that's the spirit of open source, but it isn't required - companies are allowed to charge for it. Linux, technically, is just the kernel of the operating system - the core part. Companies take that and add Open Source software on top of it, package it, and then provide it as a distribution - that's why you have so many different companies that make a Linux OS - and they each do it differently. They often add features and programs to it. It's kind of a hard idea to grasp, coming from the Windows world.

The only thing that Linux distributors are required to do, per the GPL (the license most open source software is under) is provide source code, free of charge - they aren't required to provide the fully functional and packaged product. GNU.org provides a lot of information about this, specifically this page.

Linux is free as in speech, not necessarily free as in beer. What makes linux free is that companies choose to provide it for free because that's the spirit of open source, but it isn't required - companies are allowed to charge for it. Linux, technically, is just the kernel of the operating system - the core part. Companies take that and add Open Source software on top of it, package it, and then provide it as a distribution - that's why you have so many different companies that make a Linux OS - and they each do it differently. They often add features and programs to it. It's kind of a hard idea to grasp, coming from the Windows world.

true very true it is hard to grasp coming from a winduz enviroment (started with 98) just looked on ebay so if its any good i will buy it and remove xp of the laptop keep mandriva on the tower and install linspire on the laptop which is what i wanted in the first place a linux distro on my most used pc

thanks

ps still might look @ a new wireless card that can work with a free linux distro first (i'm not tight just got bored of windows and viruses, spyware progs hackers ect)