Do you have a problem with KSCD in 2006?

cage47

I've over all been pleased with Mandrake/Mandriva since 7.0. Not every version but overal. But I was disappointed with Mandriva's choice of packages this time around. Kat, totally useless. Xorg....nuff said. Grip is a development release that crashes. And then there's KSCD. I don't know about anyone else but my kscd was chopping off the first few seconds of any track. Any disk, didn't matter. And no setting changes made a difference. So I went on to my old standby rpmfind and did a search for kscd. I found listed kscd for kde 3.4 from the official KDE site. in rpm. I downloaded it and sure enough, problem solved, works like usual. Now I had to create a sim link to /usr/bin and then a menu entry but other than that no biggie. Now I don't have a problem with legwork to make something work, but for a distro as polished as MD something like this should be unneccessary. I didn't have to do this with 10.0 (which was the last version I trusted enough to keep on my machine). I've also found that rpms from rpmfind, especially for Suse work well for fixing most MD problems. Or add to programs that are missing. I am still stymied at the developers at KDE for dumping simple krecord for the assinine krec which needs you to jump hoops and wrangle with other programs just to make a simple recording. krecord did this and also had a volume level indiator tab to guage the volume of the sound recording so it wouldn't base-out. With krec or audacity you had to set it ahead of time and hope it was right. Again I went to rpmfind and found an rpm from Suse 10 for krecord and it installed perfectly. Easier than krec and less of a resource hog than audacity. Now all I need is rpms for xgalaga and xmorph that will work. I only wish Debian was up to snuff. But I wasn't pleased with Sarge and stuck with MD.

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

I don't think they fubared it. They used a development release instead of the stable release for intel compatibility. That would have been fine for Cooker but not for the main release. Because you'd expect to futz with stuff like that in cooker.