joining networks [solved]

gem-in-eyez

K this is more of a general network question that applies to both windows and linux in a way...

I have 2 routers: both on a different ip setting by 1 byte..

ex: 192.168.1.1 router 1

192.168.2.1 rotuer 2

they both support wi fi in case you need to know... I have 4 pc's connected to the router1 and 3 have a static ip and 1 is dynamic. for the static pc's, 1 pc is a winnt server & the other 2 are linux boxes.

Now my internet is leading in to this router. and then shared over to the other router by a cable (due to the router being in the basement for other pc's to work on)

now router #2 with its Ip gives access to my laptop via wifi and has a network printer (hp laserjet 4mv- static ip) in its ip range. on this 2nd router I will be connecting other pcs to tinker around and setup other linux distros to learn and have fun with. So by extending the cable to it from the other router, allows it to share the internet with any pc connected to the router aswell my laptop. Now the thing is before I was able to have my laptop (xp) be part of a domain with the nt server.... now since it gets it's ip from router 2 I cannot see the network on router 1. I gave the 2nd router the same workgroup name as the first.

Should it not allow me to see the other workgroup? If not why and how can I go about to get the 2 groups see each other?

Right now the internet is working fine...ie I am posting this message. any pc that is joined to router 2 is able to access the net too and since I hae a network printer I want the pc's that are on router 1 to be able to print to my network printer which means they too need to see the workgroup on their side..

I can ping all the pc's in both groups from my laptop but if I was on the NT server on router 1 I cannot ping my network printer....

If you guys need any more info just let me know...I am researching online but I think that there are some terminologies that I am missing which is not allowing me to find the help I need.

Thanks...gems

What's the default gateway for your NT Server? It should be the router it's connected to.

My setup is similar to yours. Mine is like this:

PC's --> Firewall --> Router --> Internet.

Technically, it's like using two routers more or less since you'd have two routers connected together via ethernet ports like I have with my firewall and router. My IP's work like this:

10.1.1.1 - Firewall (LAN side)

10.1.2.2 - Firewall (WAN side)

10.2.2.1 - Router (LAN side)

x.x.x.x - Router (Internet side)

Of course, all my machines used 10.1.1.x IP addressing. I've not got anything connected to my router, but technically I should be able to ping all of them anyway. Just make sure all machines have the default gateway of the router LAN IP that they are connected to. Eg:, two examples if I was doing it like you:

10.1.1.5 - PC, GW = 10.1.1.1

10.1.2.5 - PC, GW = 10.1.2.1

Hey bro, as usual I get your support! :P

Well being that the routers are dlinks I called them and when I finally got through they told me to do this.

router 1 & 2 should be switched

router 1 was a dlink 524 & 2 was 624

so now I need to make router 1 = 624, 2 = 524...

Internet to router 1 = 192.168.0.1

from router 1 leave my servers and linux boxes connected to it with static IP as they already are...

router 1 will have a cable to router 2 = 192.168.0.2

router 1 will provide a dhcp service to router 2 in the same 192.168.0.x range.

network printer can have either a static or dynamic IP in the range.

from there router 2 will have dhcp service disable because clients logging in will get the IP from router 1.

SSID can be whatever because router 2 or router 1 will pick em up and router 1 will assign an IP in the range of 192.168.0.x which should allow my laptop to logon to my NT Server for domain access.

This apparently should allow all clients and servers in the lan to see eachother in the network for their shares and resources.

Too tired now to give a try but when I wake up in a few hours I will try and let you know if what they say is correct. Also they told me that I need to make sure that both routers have the same virtual server settings so that services are activated and directed to the appropriate places in the lan. Thus if I sit outside or anywhere in the house I should see my network and hae total access as though I was using 1 router, which is the basic principle of a switch.

Oh btw the printer I picked up is an HP 4mv network printer. This old school baby should allow the clients & servers print access to it. After this I will get back to setting up a distro on that rack server. I think I will have to get an IDE hdd and install on it and use the scsi drives as file space, spooler, and atleast 1 for backups. Then just sit and wait for that ml370 to arrive and have some serious fun learning raid. Then in the end I hope to be knowledgable enuff to get that beginner certification from red hat!

I'll keep ya posted as things turn out! ... :zzz: gonna dream about my new humidor I got today as an early b-day gift, :P

You might have problems trying to have the same subnet across all ports for the router. You might want to use your DHCP service as 192.168.1.0 instead of the one you mentioned above.

See my example above to see how mine is. All 10.1.1.0 machines use 255.255.255.0 subnet and 10.1.2.0 also has subnet of 255.255.255.0.

You might have a problem with routing correctly because you have the same IP range for both routers. Normally you only use same IP range when your bridging networks. Routers are taking information from one network to another different network, hence the need for two different IP ranges.

Eg: I have wireless access point, but this is bridged using 10.1.1.10 as the IP of the access point. The machines connected have static IP's in the 10.1.1.0 range. But for the routers, I have two different subnets to make sure it works correctly. Your example:

PC's --> Router2 --> Router1 --> Internet

PC's = 192.168.1.x

Router2 (LAN) = 192.168.1.1

Router2 (WAN) = 192.168.0.2

Router1 (LAN) = 192.168.0.1

Internet = x.x.x.x

Use DHCP on the 192.168.1.x range to allocate to PC's if you like, or static and disable DHCP to free up resources on the router.

k well I did what you said but the thing is that I am now connected to router 1(524) that is in my bedroom with my lap top in the basement that is next to the 624.

I can use the internet still as I was originally but what about my printer that is physically attached to router 2 (624) it is on a different IP and I cannot access it and the others will not either.

I tried to change it to bootp and the self test printed out a 0.0.0.0 showing me that it cannot get an ip from router 1 so either way no pc is able to print to it.

I'm pretty sure on the HP printers, if with internal JetDirect card, you can configure it from the front panel.

There's a menu option for this, but you may wish to revert back to the other IP on one of your machines, and use JetAdmin to reconfigure the printer as this is quicker and easier than trying to put it in the printer. Make sure you configure default gateway too for the printer.

you mean give it a static IP of that which is in the range of router 2 which it is physically attached to with the gateway of router 1??

here is my ip table

router 1 (524) = 192.168.2.1

on it I have:

NT server 192.168.2.5

drake 192.168.2.4

ubuntu 192.168.2.3

XP wifi client 192.168.2.x (dhcp enabled)

in my basement where I want to test pc & etc..

router 2 (624) = 192.168.3.1

on it I have:

HP 4mv = bootp, before when static was 192.168.3.50

laptop... for wherever in my house or outside I want to be able to grab a signal from router 1 or 2 with an IP that will give it access to the entire network & all printers...

I also want to be able to print to the hp printer from any pc in the house even though NT server has a usb printer (lexmark 4-in 1 x4270) attached to it. by default for all unless specified, to print to HP printer since it can be installed on linux.

btw jetadmin...is that a pc app pr browser tool that allows me to configure the printer? we have something at work browser based that allows us to see the toner level, if printers need maintenance kit...is that what jetadmin is?

Edited by gem-in-eyez

I have JetAdmin on CD somewhere, I can email it to you if you like. Unfortunately, it's Windows based. There is also something called WebJetAdmin too, which was webbased, but very large to send.

OK, I wasn't sure where the printer was connected. It should be OK with the IP it's got, providing default gateway is configured on it too. When you print self test, does it list the info configured on it for the networking? Does it have default gateway configured? It should be on the same IP range of the router it's connected to. So if connected to router2 printer should be 192.168.3.50 as you previously have configured, but if connected to router1 it should be 192.168.2.50 or something along those lines depending on what ip the router has configured.

i created an ftp account for u...

for some reason browsers don't work for it so u need an ftp client to access it.

right now I placed the hp printer with an ip of 192.168.2.50 which is the ip range of router 1 but it is physically connected to router 2 which is 192.168.3.1...gonna see if this works...

OK, if connected to router 2 the should be in this range with the 192.168.3.50 address. It should work here if all machines are connected to router 2 as well.

Send me a PM with the details to ftp it and I'll connect shortly. Will dig out my CD, hope I have it with me :P

nah the other pc's are on the first router 192.168.2.1

when the printer is on router 2 (x.x.3.1) none of them can access it.

Sounds like a default gateway issue for the printer. If the machines can ping the 192.168.3.1 router then this shows the routing from 2.x is working fine. If they can't ping 192.168.3.50 then this would show this problem.

If you connected a machine to router 2 and made sure it was 192.168.3.51 and then went to ping 192.168.3.50 you'd most likely get a reply.

At least, this is what I'm thinking is the problem.

hmm just tried to ping the router 2 from my laptop and got nothing. laptop has ip from router 1 so no connection is getting from router 1 to router 2 except the ip that router 1 has given router 2 so that if

I was connected to router 2 for an ip I would have the internet....

oh my email is krynn@videotron.ca if you don't see me here and ftp is setup...

Edited by gem-in-eyez

I would check the configuration on the routers. I tend to make sure I allocate static ip's rather than let the routers assign them using DHCP between each other (unless you already have it like this).

Seems a little odd that it's allocated an IP but doesn't seem to route between them.

Does the router 2 have two LAN interfaces that you can configure the different IP's for it? Have you some screenshots so I can see how the config of the routers are for each connection type.

I'm assuming one of the routers has two LAN ports, that can have two different IP's configured on them. RIP should be enabled on the router to automatically set up the routes so that you don't have to do it manually.

I finally was able to get it working. What I had been doing was connecting one routers lan port to a wan port on another router. What I should have done from the start was connect the lan to the other lan port on the 2nd router.

Redid the IP's on the pc and routers and made them all in the same range and thus I was able to have the net extended and shared to all pc on either router, allow access to the network printer, and with my laptop, no matter if I connect to the router 1 or router 2 I am able to logon to my windows pdc and still access my samba shares and so forth.... I guess by connecting it the other way...clients are able to ping eachother but without a routing table setup no communication would pass through from one router to the other except the internet and putty (which I still don't understand why or how yet)... but either way it works.

I will keep an eye out for that file. Not sure what the size limit is with my isp provider, but let me know how big it is and I will see if my hotmail can get it...if not there is a place that can accept up to 1 gig of files that I can down from all for free...I will find the link and send it to you,

Thanks again!

Jason

Got to love it when things work out!!! :thumbs: