create link between kernel-source and modules

Hello Guys,

I have installed new kernel 2.6.12.21 and compatible kernel-source in 2006.0 and when I try to make a symbolic link to the kernel source in modules with this command it doesn't work.

What is wrong with the command.

[root@ast arne]# ln -s /usr/src/linux-kernel-i586-up-1GB-2.6.12.21mdk-1-1mdk.i586 /lib/modules/kernel-i586-up-1GB-2.6.12.21mdk-1-1mdk.i586/build

ln: creating symbolic link `/lib/modules/kernel-i586-up-1GB-2.6.12.21mdk-1-1mdk.i586/build' to `/usr/src/linux-kernel-i586-up-1GB-2.6.12.21mdk-1-1mdk.i586': No such file or directory

Please help

:wall:

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

cd into your /usr/src directory and do this command and post the output here:

ls -al

basically what's happening is you are trying to link to a directory that doesn't exist. i'm not sure why you want to create this link, as anything you build from source will most likely look to /usr/src (where it already exists) and not /lib/modules/*/build, but hey...to each their own ;)

Thanks for reply tyme,

Since I have not installed many tarballs yet I follow a howto from ndiswarapper. Apparently this symbolic link is essential to ndiswrapper.

What I want to do in short is to install the latest tarball (March this year) from Ralink RT2500STA-1.4.6.4.tar.gz on my old Thinkpad laptop where I just installed 2006.0 and upgraded kernel and kernel-source.

So I don't need to make this link in order to achieve my goal?????????

ok...did you change your mind since the original post? because you said you were going to use ndiswrapper. and if you didn't need ndiswrapper, why were you trying to use it initially? I'm confused :unsure:

Tyme,

Sorry for the missunderstanding I should have told you that I was following a ndiswrapper HOWTO because it covered installing kernel-source and make the symbolic link as a part of the actual ndiswrapper howto.

The driver can work without ndiswrapper (they say) so your answers is valid and helpfull

Thanks again.

If you want to get rid of ndiswrapper, this is quite possible using a very new kernel revision ( it works only for certain wireless chips), where there is native support.

I believe you can find a 2.6.16.X kernel for Mandriva 2006.0 currently at the Thac repository. I have not tested or used it at all, so don't blame me if it doesn't work...

Edited by scarecrow