mandriva newbie

Try booting the Mandriva CD with a "nopcmcia" argument. After installing you can re-enable your cardbus socket.

how do i do that? and it wont let me install on my D drive (60gig) it tells me i only have 256mb of space why? ore shall i try suse?

thanks in advance

When the installation CD pops up the first screen, press esc and then type in

linux nopcmcia

How is your harddrive partitioned? Assuming you have given the correct model you must have a 20 GB partition with Ex-Pee installed, and some 60 GB formatted as either NTFS or FAT32, or not?

There's not much difference between Mandriva and OpenSuSE, both follow the same 'newbie-friendly" philosophy.

Edited by scarecrow

If it tells you you only have 256MB of space free, trying another distro won't help. Are you sure you partitioned it correctly and allowed enough space free to install?

Can you give us some more information on the partitions and sizes, maybe a screenshot too?

If it tells you you only have 256MB of space free, trying another distro won't help. Are you sure you partitioned it correctly and allowed enough space free to install?

Can you give us some more information on the partitions and sizes, maybe a screenshot too?

how do i attach a screen dump

You can copy and paste the text if in KDE/Gnome, if not, you can do this to send the info to a file from the command line:

fdisk -l > /home/username/partitions

this will list the partitions, but replace "username" with your user login name that you created. And:

df > /home/username/diskspace

will list the disk space free for us on active partitions. Also, under multimedia/graphics there should be something called ksnapshot which takes graphical pictures for you to attach as jpegs here if need be.

thank 4 that but i have to use my win xp install to access the net i have just again tried to do an install and it froze due to my wireless card (which it seems to do every time) then when i point it to the D:\ drive for the install it formats then resizes it and still informs me i only have 256mb of space to install the OS on any reason why?

thanks in advance

During the installation you should select custom disk partitioning (or whatever that option is called). You will then see a layout of all your partitions. You can then delete, resize, etc. If you set up a big NTFS partition with Partition Magic and opted to install Linux on the free space you will be stuck. You should make note of what the installation partition manager says you have and report back if you remain stuck.

PRD60 has a good how-to on doing a first time install of Mandriva Linux at:

http://www.linuxloader.com/

Cheers,

Bill

thanks 4 that i finally got it on by letting it partition my D drive into 2 partitions not tried it out as my wireless card no doubt will continue to cause me no end of problems

thanks

ps whats best under mandriva wireless or external broadband modem

Which distro have you tested already on your laptop with which result?

ps whats best under mandriva wireless or external broadband modem
It depends on the wireless device you have and the modem you have. Not all manufacturers are 100% compatible. So... details, please. :)

I have tried suse live mandriva live and installed ubuntu live (just waiting on delivery of full package) i have installed mandriva fully debian that failed compleatly on both PC's and they all freeze up if the wireless card is in the pc or inserted once there up and running ive tried linux xp desktop on the pc (failed probably cos its on a cdrw) about to try it on the laptop i know a lot of probs on the laptop are caused by the wireless card and as for the make of the wireless card the best i can tell you is its made by texas instruments

AboCom Systems, Inc. - Networking - 802.11g Wireless MiniPCI Card

Date last published: 3/16/2005

Texas Instruments network software update released on December 01 2004. that is what i get of MS updates about it

i will keep on trying other linux OS until i get one on the laptop and xp off

thanks