KDE v Gnome [solved]

Des Kinsman

I have KDE and Gnome installed, but mostly use KDE. Sometimes Gnome when I feel like a change. I've tried Window Managers, and whilst they are usable, there not the same as a DE like KDE/Gnome. I'd probably only use Window Managers on machines with very little memory when I require a GUI for something.

There's also Blackbox/Fluxbox/IceWM/XFCE for Window Managers amongst others I'm sure.

it's not that it's a boring subject, it's that it's been discussed over and over. you can google for it, or even search this forum, and you'll find threads and discussions that cover it quite thoroughly.

It's not boring at all, it's just that loads of bashing has been done in the past over this subject, and quite undeservedly so.

My recommendation is, if you have enogh disk space to spare, installing KDE, Gnome, XFCE4 plus a couple of light window managers (Fluxbox, IceWM, e17...) and after sufficiently toying with all of them, settle for what fits you best. After all, the greatest thing about linux is freedom of choice, right?

Personally I'm a KDE user, but I would never try to push that bone down to anyone's throat.

I have both installed, and go back and forth between both.

One thing I like better with gnome, at least in my case, is that it pops up an icon on my desktop when I stick in a usb flash drive. KDE does not.

I generally use KDE mostly. Another thing, I don't think CDs play under gnome, if I remember right.

I don't think CDs play under gnome, if I remember right.
They play, but not in Mandrivas default Gnome 2.10. The package has a bug apparently that cannot be fixed easily. But you can listen to CDs with e.g. Grip, Sound Juicer, Totem or any other CD-player capable app. The bug does not exist in Gnome 2.12 btw. And other distros have no problem playing CDs under Gnome, like Fedora, SUSE or Ubuntu.