GUI -themers<>devel

bvc

I don't think gnome even had much ability to look good, not long ago. So while it surely would have helped, it's like....why bother? Now things are much better. The next gnome release has some gtk changes giving more power in the font color department, or so it seems. It'll be great if it works as stated and back compat is maintained. I've seen more movement towards this 'hard coded color control' by apps, and that needs to be stopped. If the themer/engine writer can override it...that's fine, but we'll have to know how, and the option to override is not usually considered by the developers. They think if it looks good with gtk (no engine) and the default engine (clearlooks), they've done thier job and do not need to worry about anyone else.

Good luck with getting GTK/App devels onto a forum, for some reason, devs like mailing lists. Maybe it's because they tend to keep idiots out, as signing up to a mailing list sort of commits you to receiving it till you remove yourself from it.

As for applications hard coding things, file bugs, and i'd be pretty sure there's something in the Gnome HIG regarding hard coding that you can throw at them. Devs read bug trackers too.

If you go for forums... Setting it up as Gnome only will only appeal to a small audience, and you'll have a harder time getting it known and off the ground.

Try to set them up as desktop neutral as you can, with sections for different major desktops, you'll find yourself much much more successfull as there is nothing like this for any DE/WM. It would also promote cross environment co-operation, with users seeing what's going on in the others, and porting themes and such across and such. I'd love to be able to use my KDE and Gnome apps under Gnome using Fluxbox as the window manager -- seamlessly.

Sure, it's a stretch from your original idea, but would contribute a substantial amount more to the linux desktop scene, promote unification, and would be much simpler to get off the ground.

James

well like I said, we're just themers. Some idiots, some not, but none of us are going to join mailing list to particiapate in 5% of the action.

I like your gnomeHIG thingy :thumbs: but still, it is not bugs. What we are desiring is untapped potential. Most of it is already there. We just need to know how. Or devel just needs to impliment underlying code, then tell us what and how. It's very simple really and it wouldn't take long. The two sides just need to sit down at the table.

As far as a forum goes, gnome is quite enough and has a very large audience. Others do not matter. It would be very easy to get it off the ground, as we've seen. It just needs to be ran is all, but I'm not interested in anything like that and only want to deal with gnome gui. Unification of wm's/de's is the last thing we need. It's been tried and gone nowhere, because the 2 big boys are too diff, and that's good and how it should be. It's why they exist and came to be what they are. DE's. Does the word environment ring any bells? Why kill that? It's a beautiful thing! Individulality! Success, achievment, top dog...all that good stuff.

well like I said, we're just themers. Some idiots, some not, but none of us are going to join mailing list to particiapate in 5% of the action.

I like your gnomeHIG thingy :thumbs: but still, it is not bugs. What we are desiring is untapped potential. Most of it is already there. We just need to know how. Or devel just needs to impliment underlying code, then tell us what and how. It's very simple really and it wouldn't take long. The two sides just need to sit down at the table.

*shrug* If developers are hard coding colours into a program, and it's in violation of the HIG, I'd say it constitutes a bug.

As far as a forum goes, gnome is quite enough and has a very large audience. Others do not matter.

of course they matter :) Gnome has a big audience, but the specifics of gnome theming that you are looking into do not.

It would be very easy to get it off the ground, as we've seen. It just needs to be ran is all, but I'm not interested in anything like that and only want to deal with gnome gui. Unification of wm's/de's is the last thing we need. It's been tried and gone nowhere, because the 2 big boys are too diff, and that's good and how it should be. It's why they exist and came to be what they are. DE's. Does the word environment ring any bells? Why kill that? It's a beautiful thing! Individulality! Success, achievment, top dog...all that good stuff.

There's a line, and an extent where unification/co-ordination is a good thing. Take for example the xdg desktop menu spec, building a standard way for them both to setup their menus. That's a good thing. The move towards similar icon setups, that's a good thing.

Graphical consistency is a good thing. Sure some people out there like their GTK apps, some like their QT apps, but deciding that everyone should use one or the other is just plain snobbery. Trying to mix and match QT and GTK apps isnt fun. They work great together, but they often look terrible. Don't you agree that it would be much better if themers of multiple desktops worked together? the two would be able to interoperate much more, and that I believe is a good thing.

I can see what you mean when talking about individuality, but that's selfish. It's like me talking to someone and saying im individual because I have a better computer. Appearance is only a small part in identity of a desktop, it's how the applications work, how they are presented, what features they contain, how big they are.

Like I said before, it wouldnt take much more effort to make this setup work for multiple desktop environments, and the benefits of doing so would be great. Not doing so is simply lazy and ignores the benifits of co-operation.

James

*shrug* If developers are hard coding colours into a program, and it's in violation of the HIG, I'd say it constitutes a bug.
If that's the case then gnome wouldn't exist as we know it. There many things gnome does against its own HIG because the HIG is just plain outdated and wrong.

of course they matter :) Gnome has a big audience, but the specifics of gnome theming that you are looking into do not.
Like I said, I do not want a polular forum/large audience. Just whatever it takes to improve things.

There's a line, and an extent where unification/co-ordination is a good thing. Take for example the xdg desktop menu spec, building a standard way for them both to setup their menus. That's a good thing. The move towards similar icon setups, that's a good thing.
menu unity is a necesssity because of icon names. Icon naming convention? Good thing because of the menu and apps and so many want so many diff icon sets from both desktops. That doesn't mean widgets and api have to be unified.

Graphical consistency is a good thing. Sure some people out there like their GTK apps, some like their QT apps, but deciding that everyone should use one or the other is just plain snobbery. Trying to mix and match QT and GTK apps isnt fun. They work great together, but they often look terrible. Don't you agree that it would be much better if themers of multiple desktops worked together? the two would be able to interoperate much more, and that I believe is a good thing.
not in widgets/api. Absolutely not. I like gnome, not kde. Don't want any thing from kde.

I can see what you mean when talking about individuality, but that's selfish. It's like me talking to someone and saying im individual because I have a better computer. Appearance is only a small part in identity of a desktop, it's how the applications work, how they are presented, what features they contain, how big they are.
I want to improve gnome and that's selfish? Huh, and here I thought I was giving of myself. What was I thinking? :wall:

Like I said before, it wouldnt take much more effort to make this setup work for multiple desktop environments, and the benefits of doing so would be great. Not doing so is simply lazy and ignores the benifits of co-operation.
It's not lazy, its efficient. Cooperation? That's the goal, didn't you read? Gnome devel and themers cooperating with each other. :wall: It's free, other de's/wm's are more than welcome to the code, which I have, and wouldn't have, anything to do with.

menu unity is a necesssity because of icon names. Icon naming convention? Good thing because of the menu and apps and so many want so many diff icon sets from both desktops. That doesn't mean widgets and api have to be unified.

not in widgets/api. Absolutely not. I like gnome, not kde. Don't want any thing from kde.

I dont mean widget API's, I just mean an improved consistency and availability in themes for both desktops.

I want to improve gnome and that's selfish? Huh, and here I thought I was giving of myself. What was I thinking? :wall:

I didnt say improving gnome was selfish. I meant that taking an attitude that these things are on gnome, and thus they belong to gnome and gnome only is selfish.

*shrug* ill leave my case here, you dont seem to care for the wider audience, nor helping the desktop as a whole.

James