SUSE Linux 10.1 x86-64

Guest jasvin

Guest jasvin

Hi

I'm a newbie here

I've just got the 5 CD sets of SUSE Linux 10.1 x86-64.

I was just wondering whether i can install it on a 32-bit system, e.g a PIII or PIV, even though it's meant for AMD64.

Thanks in advance.

[moved from Hardware by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]

Welcome to the board :beer:

It's designed for a 64 bit processor, so the likelihood you'd ever get it working on a 32 bit processor machine is extremely unlikely.

You'd have to download the 32 bit version.

Guest jasvin

OK. Thanks

Another question though, Will it installed on a Pentium as well as on an AMD, provided both are 64-bits of course, or is it exclusively for AMDs.

And i also got a Mandriva Linux 2006 i586 Install DVD, is it as good as SUSE, especially for a newbie like me who's just embark on the Linux road.

I would think it would support both Intel and AMD 64 bit processors, but I can't find anything to say what it does/doesn't support. I've only used 32 bit versions as I don't have a 64 bit processor.....yet :P

I'm not sure what Intel's 64 bit availability is as of yet, as I know AMD were the first to release, so chances are it's definitely AMD supported, but Intel I'm unsure of.

Mandriva is definitely worthy, and I would say probably better than SuSe, but at the end of the day this is personal preference. You should find it relatively easy, I did when I was a newbie. And although I try other distros, I always find myself coming back to Mandriva.

And i also got a Mandriva Linux 2006 i586 Install DVD, is it as good as SUSE, especially for a newbie like me who's just embark on the Linux road.

I would say yes, and no.

While I have had no major problems with the SUSE installer, some of the tools are not user friendly, for instance their partitioning tool is nothing compared to graphical partitioning tool that you get with Mandriva 2006. However Mandriva 2006 did have a few issues for me that required manual edits, and global issue with Xorg that affected many (not all) but there has been a separate discussion on this. Like Ian says, whichever works for you.

While I have had no major problems with the SUSE installer, some of the tools are not user friendly, for instance their partitioning tool is nothing compared to graphical partitioning tool that you get with Mandriva 2006. However Mandriva 2006 did have a few issues for me that required manual edits, and global issue with Xorg that affected many (not all) but there has been a separate discussion on this. Like Ian says, whichever works for you.

Actually I think this just highlights the main problem of both Mandriva and Suse whicvh I believe is the Distro specific config tools.

Any noobie starting Suse will find YaST is not too scary and does a decent job and the same for the MCC but the problem is HOW it does that job in terms of the user experience.

If you use YaST exclusively for a year then the MCC will seem strange and do things in a weird way and visa versa.

These tools are all about lock-in and making other distro's look hard but many noobies sucessfully install and configure gentoo without any of these tools. (or arch or slack etc.)

If you take a noobie, give em gentoo for a year and then give them YaST or MCC then they have the ability to understand what is being changed and this helps understand the GUI... but its not true in reverse, you need to be a Suse/Mandriva 'expert' to start editing config files and understanding what the GUI is doing.

It is a bit like the old Gnome/KDE debate, people have good reasons for both but they are equally what you get used to.

I think if you have no interest in Linux or being a power user then Suse is probably better in terms of supporting things from the box but if you want to dig a little deeper then Mandriva is better but overall I'd say if you seriously want to start learning how to use linux, not just drive it then Debian, Gentoo, slack or arch are the way to go.

These tools are all about lock-in and making other distro's look hard but many noobies sucessfully install and configure gentoo without any of these tools. (or arch or slack etc.)

I disgree, if you want to talk about lock-in there's only one OS that is well suited to that description! These GUI tools are a means of making the distro "more accessable", rather than to lock a user in.

I disgree, if you want to talk about lock-in there's only one OS that is well suited to that description! These GUI tools are a means of making the distro "more accessable", rather than to lock a user in.

What Gowator is saying is once you get used to these tools, you wonder were they are in other distors and don't want switch once you don't find them, added with that you really "might" not understand what there doing in the background and end up not having a clue how to do anything outside the gui. Which is a very stong place in *nix ;)