How do I keep RPMS from deleting /var/cache/urpmi?

I have a slow dial up and would like to make a copy of the RPMS that urpmi installs for future use but before I can get to

/var/cache/urpmi/rpms to get a copy urpmi has already deleted it. How can I stop urpmi from deleting them until after I've made a copy?

many thanks maparus

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

I would also add the "--resume" parameter since you have a slow connection. Will help if everything pauses, to continue where it stopped, rather than start downloading it all again from the beginning of the last file it was attempting to download.

e.g. is the abbreviation for exempli gratia, a Latin phrase meaning "for example." :)

Now I'm really embarassed. I thought it was a program Do I type urpmi --auto-select --noclean in a terminal. It didn't seem to work. It brought up

[root@localhost maparus]# urpmi --auto-select --noclean

Some package requested cannot be installed:

k3b-0.12.15-1.1.20060.SoS.i586 (due to missing libk3b2-0.12.15-1.1.20060.SoS.i586)

libk3b2-0.12.15-1.1.20060.SoS.i586 (due to unsatisfied libmpcdec.so.3)

Continue? (Y/n)

I said no and canceled

Sounds like you don't have all your repositories set up. Can you do:

urpmq --list-media

and post back? You should have main, contrib, jpackage, plf-free, plf-nonfree and updates.

Most of my learning of Linux has been trial and error so I've had to reinstall the urpmi sources many times but I never noticed the box on the easy-urpmi site that you can click to get a condensed version of the sources. What normally would take many hours to get all my sources was done in a matter of a couple of hours. So I'm ready for another guestion.

I ran urpmi --auto-select --unclean and it did exactly what you said it would do. 148 packages at 865mb. WOW! That's a big chunk

Two questions

1. For future reference how do I add --resume to the configuration and how do I pause the down loads and how do I get them started again?

2. The main programs I would want to make copies of are Firefox, Thunderbird, Gimp-2.3 ect. So what would I type in the terminal for say Gimp-2.3.6-1.2006.sos in order to download the package with dependaceies and maintain a copy in /var/cache/urpmi/rpms

many thank maparus

I've looked at adding --resume by default and I can't find a way to do this. The only way is to manually do it from what I can see so far.

If you wanted just to maintain gimp, then something like this should work:

urpmi gimp --noclean --resume

but, if gimp is already installed, then you won't be able to maintain an update with this command. It will report that gimp is already installed I would have thought.