Xorg 7

guppetto

So Cooker now has xorg 7, only it has effectively killed my computer. Does anyone know how to actually get a display and get x running with this new Xorg 7 implementation. startx is suddenly missing, which leads me to believe that perhaps some packages associated with 7 are missing.

Cooker is definitely currently only for the most diehard users.

Xorg7 is modular, therefore you need to install various options to get things that are missing. I found this out when using arch. It's not complete by installing just one package, which means you just install what you want.

I'm aware of 7's modularity, but the cooker packages for each branch appear to incomplete. For instance, if you install xorg 7 from the cooker, when you reboot and the xinit scripts try to launch the xserver, the startx script will be missing. I'm not sure if the problem is that all the needed packages have not been built or if the packages have been improperly built. Either way, i would advise everyone to avoid installing xorg 7 from the cooker for a while, unless you need a convenient excuse to wipe your box clean which i am in the process of doing.

Thanks for the reply though, 53 views and only one brave soul with any ideas.Now this reminds me of the cooker from the Mandrake days where you have to really be a brave to run the cooker.

Why didn´t I read this earlier :wall:

I feel your pain. He's right when he says cooker is broken and that's a real problem in several areas. Not only is xorg broken, but kde isn't working very well either, becuase several of the dependencies for running the latest and greatest kde desktop are acting strange as well. XFS isn't playing nice at all and menu-xdg will really harm your system.

Thanks for the cooker log, I've seen it on several occations, but have never been smart enough to check it regularly before upgrading packages. I suppose I'll smarten up now, but now how to get working cooker install is my challenge for the day.

Right now xorg is running but:

mouse wheel is broken

nvidia driver doesn´t work

menu xdg still sorta broken (it´s better that 1mdk but I want the old version back, which I misplaced :wall:)

kdm doesn´t work

well after this is fixed maybe we can finally start playing with the latest xgl a bit now that we have xorg 7.

Edited by ffi

Ok... I also fell for it.. I just update everything with SMART.. (as I usually do) without knowing that xorg7 was there.... and puff... xorg 7 and my linux just died....

So.. what Can I do ?? Is there any way to downgrade xorg without a clean reinstall???

Please Help... I just don't want to lose the others updates that actually worked (KDE)..

HELP...!!!

If you don't want to reinstall, then just wait using CLI till it gets fixed...

Normally it shouldn't take more than half a week to have sort-of-working xorg packages in Cooker.

Downgrading is easier said than done.

Edited by scarecrow

Ok... I also fell for it.. I just update everything with SMART.. (as I usually do) without knowing that xorg7 was there.... and puff... xorg 7 and my linux just died....

So.. what Can I do ?? Is there any way to downgrade xorg without a clean reinstall???

Please Help... I just don't want to lose the others updates that actually worked (KDE)..

HELP...!!!

I tried backing out xorg 7, but that wont work because they have changed the dependencies so that nothing links against xorg 6.9. I understand why they did it, but it makes backing everything out almost impossible, without a clean install. The latest kde in cooker won't work against 6.9.

If you don't want to reinstall, then just wait using CLI till it gets fixed...

Normally it shouldn't take more than half a week to have sort-of-working xorg packages in Cooker.

Downgrading is easier said than done.

Half a week..??..mmh if that's so ..... maybe I'll just wait until a working version of xorg packages comes out..

I just hope that wont take long.......

:wall: damm it !!... I have everything on my linux desktop (mail, projects... etc)...

I just don't want to go back to windows.... in the meantime... I'd be working on the office

Cooker is a test system, so you should expect it to crash. You should never really use this for your working desktop unless you don't care about expecting problems and can live with them affecting your system stability. And definitely do not use Cooker for a server.

If you don't want your system to crash, use Mandriva 2006 instead. Whilst you won't have the latest and greatest, you'll at least have a system that is running to do your mail, projects, etc.

Cooker is a test system, so you should expect it to crash. You should never really use this for your working desktop unless you don't care about expecting problems and can live with them affecting your system stability. And definitely do not use Cooker for a server.

If you don't want your system to crash, use Mandriva 2006 instead. Whilst you won't have the latest and greatest, you'll at least have a system that is running to do your mail, projects, etc.

You know, you're right, Cooker shouldn't be my main desktop, and I've tried to convince myself not to do it, but when I've got my system set up just perfect and then I see the latest version of kde just sitting out there, I always secumb to the dark side. I can't help myself. I suppose I should just create a new partition and install cooker on it, and keep my main desktop as is, but I'm to lazy for that.

:P

There's always thacs/mde rpm's for the latest and greatest KDE, etc. The Workbench forum here has some info on their repositories. Maybe this might be a more stable option.

:P

There's always thacs/mde rpm's for the latest and greatest KDE, etc. The Workbench forum here has some info on their repositories. Maybe this might be a more stable option.

Here's an even better question that maybe someone can answer. I used to build KDE from scratch so that I could always have the latest and greatest without waiting for it to appear in the cooker or Thac repositories, but the one problem I always ran into is that by doing so, i would always loose the Madriva menu layout. Anyone know how to add the mandriva Menu to a source compiled KDE install?