Compatible modems for Mandriva 2006?

brian w.

I am playing around with the idea of switching from microsoft to Linux.

I recently bought a used Compaq "Desktop Pro" with 800 mb processor, and loaded the Mandriva 2006 onto it (3 cd's).

Everything worked out great except for the modem (which is a winmodem). I have heard from one of the IT people at work that it may be easier for me to just buy another modem that's compatible for the Linux OS.

I'm really pretty illiterate when it comes to computer diagnostics, and the such - even with Windows XP I wouldn't attempt to do anything in the bios, etc. I can do many things, but am still limited in my experience. Now I'm trying to learn the Mandriva OS, and have to slowly learn commands to enter into the console, and the such. I really don't want to do the "scanmodem" thing, and figure out the chipset to the "Lucent winmodem" I have. Then figure out how install the drivers for it - if I can even find the drivers!

Can anyone suggest some sort of dialup modem that may work for my setup? It could be an internal modem or possibly a serial modem. Whatever may be easiest for the Mandriva 2006 OS to pick up. I believe that the processor on the Compaq is an Intel Celeron.

Money is a factor in what I end up buying. I have heard of one modem by the name of "Zoom", and have looked some of those over, but I really was having a hard time figuring out which one would be the compatible one.

Thanks for any info/suggestions!

Bro Brian

First, some information about hardware.

Peripherals were originally designed as hardware, that is, with their own processors. Communication was done between the compoment and the central processor of the computer. In a desire to reduce cost, microdoft came up with the idea of using the computer's central processor to run printers, modems, scanners, and others, instead of these all having their own processors. Therefore, these "win-components" are not hardware in the strictest sense of the word, but are rather extensions of the computer. Unlike windows, linux uses hardware, including the computer's bios. So, linux does not "find" anything but rather uses true hardware.

Naturally, windows invisioned other operating systems falling by the way side, since only windows operated with the "win-component" concept. Manufacturers were forbidden (by windows) to produce drivers for these pseudo-hardware items for other operating systems, or receive no information from microsoft. Several uncooperative manufacturers had components that simply would not run on the newer versions of windows because window would not give them the necessary information. It's about business, and not about good computing.

But linux users figured out drivers on their own. Where 6 years ago winmodems were scrap, today there are some good drivers for these pieces of motherboard extensions. But the name brand is really meaningless. As I have explained, whether or not the unit is real hardware is what is important. In other words, any modem that has its own processor and does not "share" the computer's processor will work fine. Please note that even "serial" modems can be artificial. You have to read the box! As far as brands, I have used Zoom before without problems. But they produce both winmodems and true modems. You have to read the box. ;)

Olitec Speed'Com V92-ready is excellent for me. I recently gave it to my mother-in-law (I now have ADSL) and she couldn't believe how fast it is compared to the one she used when she still used Windows.

Yves.

"In other words, any modem that has its own processor and does not "share" the computer's processor will work fine."

Maybe this is the problem. The Lucent winmodem that's installed right now may not be "true hardware" - an artificial modem?

Anyway, I'll keep looking into this all. I have written down the other modems as well, and will try to figure out what path to pursue.

thanks for all the info!

Bri Bri

Thanks for all the info again.

A friend of mine did give me a used external modem he had by the name of "Blaster Flash 56-2 V.90 & K56 flex".

I connected it to my computer, and re-installed the Mandriva 2006 disks (3). It was able to configure from what I'm guessing, however when the OS prompted me if I wanted to test the connection, I didn't hear any dial tones, and then a message came up saying, "no internet connection found".

Of course I put in a fake phone number, so I have to wait until I find some ISP software to install, and really have it set up for a true connection to see if it really did work. I don't know, but I would have thought I would have heard a dial tone or something - even with a false phone number.

Bro Bri

• 2 weeks later...
Guest A.M.

Hi I have a BT Voyager 105 USB ADSL Modem (in uk)

I have downloaded the driver from BT, But it is for winxp.

Bt do not seem to have any support for linux users.

Do I have to run the modem under Wine?

And how do I install the drivers ?

Any help will be greatly appriciated.

A.m.

You could see if ndiswrapper works with it. I would first check in System/Configuration/Hardware/HardDrake and see if a module is listed against it. If not, then use ndiswrapper, but I'm not even sure if this will work.

USB DSL modems are sketchy at most times, DSL routers are the preferred method and much easier than attempting to get USB DSL modems to work. You can check if it's supported at http://www.mandriva.com and under support there is a hardware compatibility list.