Want to try Slackware

Hello everyone,

I am currently using Mandriva Linux. The install was easy, just put in the disks and let it go. I am thinking of trying a new distribution. I was going to try Debian, until I found out its 14 CD's. That left me with slackware. However, im confused with even downloading it. All the ISO's are iso.asc - What do I do with that? Also the site is telling me I need to select a boot disk (does the CD not just run like the Mandriva ones did?) Any help/guidance would be appreciated. Thanks

-neocytrix

Just look better- iso.asc are small checksum files, the main distro are two regular .iso images. Slackware is WAY better than Mandriva, but it's not a distro for everyone (most configuration and tuning has to be done manually).

And if you want to try Debian, Kanotix is Debian Sid, and you have to download just one CD, not 14.

Slackware is WAY better than Mandriva

Stating that without pointing out why you think it is better is a bit useless, scarecrow. ;) I wouldn't say it is way better but that it is way different. And it is not something for those who want bleeding edge, nor something for those who are afraid of configuring their whole system with an editor only.

This topic will point you to some nice links: https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=27486

About Debian: If you want to install Debian, you can also download the GenieOS install CD that allows you to set up a 100% Debian desktop system quite fast. Only the most important things are stored on the CD, the rest will be downloaded from the net automatically.

You can boot Slackware directly from CD's, just like you can with Mandriva. I've used 10.2 version, and it uses 2.4 kernel by default. It has 2.6, but it's called test, so not sure why it's like this.

It's relatively easy to upgrade your kernel though manually, but I prefer Gentoo to Slackware, because I had so many problems trying to get it work for what I was attempting to do.

How many of those 14 cd's do you really need for Debian? Is there a list of what is on those discs, so you could chose say 5 or 6 discs. I don't know, just asking. With a 14 disc set (or a large net install, i guess), I wonder how many people actually run Debian vs. one of its much fewer discs offspring?

I downloaded 2 x Debian DVD's, but I think I only used the first one. I guess that would equate to about 5 x CD's, because the ISO was about 3.4GB or thereabouts.

You can boot Slackware directly from CD's, just like you can with Mandriva. I've used 10.2 version, and it uses 2.4 kernel by default. It has 2.6, but it's called test, so not sure why it's like this.
Don't try the provided 2.6 kernel in Slack 10.2. It is horribly broken. Better get a vanilla kernel and compile that one.

Don't try the provided 2.6 kernel in Slack 10.2. It is horribly broken. Better get a vanilla kernel and compile that one.

Arctic, why do you say that? I use Slackware 10.2 and did the initial install on two computers with the 2.6 kernel. There was no problem as long as I read about installing the 2.6 libs and do it. If a person doesn't, then yes, trouble ;)

Slackware boots fine from the cd and in fact you can install the system from just the first cd. The second cd is for kde, gnome, 2.6 libs, and a few other things. I have also installed 10.2 by using the first disk only and by using the wm's that are on it. I have xfce4 and icewm but I may have downloaded one of those off the net.

Vectorlinux is a pretty nice distro built on Slack.

On Debian, don't you just need the first 2 or perhaps 3 cd's? It's been a while since I installed it on another computer. It seems like the other cd's were just older programs, kernels, etc.

I don't had any problems with the stock Slackware 10.2 2.6-series kernel, either. You just need to read the howto before installing.

Why better than Mandriva?

- Light, fast, responsive kernels... next to vanilla, opposed to a huge bunch of suspect patches.

- Few, very few bugs, opposed to loads of them.

- Compiling packages from source is easier than in any other distro, opposed to Mandriva's "almost broken" devel packages.

- System structure is very simple and comprehensible, and same goes for initscripts. Mandriva is very complex, even for experienced users...

There are some more issues, but I think the above are more than enough.

Arctic, why do you say that? I use Slackware 10.2 and did the initial install on two computers with the 2.6 kernel. There was no problem as long as I read about installing the 2.6 libs and do it. If a person doesn't, then yes, trouble ;)

I say that because I know of many, many cases where keyboards and mice (even PS2 mice!) simply refused to work correctly with the provided 2.6 kernel. Also, several users lost their network connections using the stock 2.6 kernel and others (like me) lost sound and had a slower system after using kernel 2.6. I at least a dozen long-time slackers I know think the kernel is horribly broken. I hope Slack 11.0 will ship a better 2.6. kernel. If te kernel works great for you, so the much better.

Compiling packages from source is easier than in any other distro, opposed to Mandriva's "almost broken" devel packages.

I have to disagree with you there. I don't think there's a better distro at compiling from source than Gentoo. And yes I have used Slackware.

I noticed, spending two weeks trying to get it to work correctly with my hardware, as well as configuring software raid, which, as it seems, was impossible.

Gentoo did the job in about 2 hours or so. So this won the contest. But then subsequently got replaced by Red Hat later, because the client wanted the comfort of support in case anything went pear-shaped.

I say that because I know of many, many cases where keyboards and mice (even PS2 mice!) simply refused to work correctly with the provided 2.6 kernel. Also, several users lost their network connections using the stock 2.6 kernel and others (like me) lost sound and had a slower system after using kernel 2.6. I at least a dozen long-time slackers I know think the kernel is horribly broken. I hope Slack 11.0 will ship a better 2.6. kernel. If te kernel works great for you, so the much better.

Oh man, sorry to hear that, but also glad it worked on two of my computers. I had something similar with Debian (woody) in that when booting, it wouldn't recognize my keyboard! Mouse would work, but couldn't even reboot without hitting reset button! I never knew when it would happen since I boot different distros quite frequently. It is on another hd that is rarely used so I don't have to mess with it any more. Should try new kernel on it, but since I'm not using it, I don't worry about it.