Another Networking Problem

mystified

I had set up WEP on my laptop and it was working, then it stopped then I got it working again and now it's not working AGAIN.

I'm getting this message at shutdown

shutting down wlan0, ndiswrapper  (add_wep_key:711) - adding encryption key 1 failed C0010015

I've double checked my encryption key and it's correct.

Suggestions before I switch distros?

Is your hex key 10 or 26 characters in length? The 26 character length hex key indicates 128 bit encryption and that can give problems with ndiswrapper with some drivers; it's just not as well supported depending on the version of ndiswrapper and the driver you are using. The 10 character length key indicates 64 bit encryption(also referred to as 40 bit encryption by some vendors) and generally works better and is well supported with ndiswrapper.

How did you get it working when it failed? Did you reboot and all was OK, or did you have to reconfigure the system?

Did you use wizards to reconfigure, or command-line?

Can you estabolish a connection without any encryption enabled? If not, it may be a configuration issue having nothing to do with your encryption key. Also, post what wireless nic you are using, which distro, the version of ndiswrapper and the windows driver you are using. If you are running windows, I assume you have confirmed that you can connect OK under windows.

Ok, no connection without encryption. But I'm no longer getting the ndiswrapper error when I shut down. My Nic is a Broadcom BCM438 (Air Force one 54g) 802.11g Wireless Lan controller. The version of ndiswrapper is 1.2.3mdk. I'm using Mandriva 2006 (which seems to be buggy btw). BCMWL5A is my windows driver and yes I can connect in Windows.