Gnome icons [solved]

Guest barticle

Guest barticle

How do I get rid of icons I don't want, in the Gnome desktop? I currently have two icons for Xsane. I ried un-installing the program, but the icons are still there. If I delete them they just come back next time I boot. I'm afraid if I re-install Xsane I'll end up with even more icons.

[moved from Software by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]

Guest barticle
check in your home directory, in the Desktop folder, and delete any occurences of xsane. hopefully when you log out and back in only one will re-appear.

Thanks, but I already tried that - several times. No effect. Didn't work. Xsane is still there, twice.

barticle :wall:

I don't have mandrake installed anymore much less sane_anything but here's a few things to try.

1. delete the icons and then run the command

gnome-session-save

2. open gconf-editor (command), Configuration Editor (menu) and dig around in there for anything sane/xsane? If you unistalled the program the problam is most likely in an xml file somewhere in .gnome2 or .gconf in your home dir.

Guest barticle

:lol2: Thanks - I seem to have solved the prob, more or less by accident. I unplugged my scanner. It looks like what happens is that, since the scanner doesn't come with an on/off switch (dumb) it gets re-installed every time I boot. Since I don't use it every day, I'll just leave it unplugged till the next time. It wastes a lot of power, anyway.

barticle