Ulteo Linux

Ixthusdan

Gael has suggested that this is a conceptually different approach and we'll see what it's all about eventually. I just hope he doesn't say my computer's bios is no longer needed! :lol:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

A reliable source has said that we will have an announcement on Monday, December 4. Actually, it could be a reliable rumor! :lol:

The first alpha release of Ulteo will be available on December 5th or 6th. There will also be a detailed announcement of what Ulteo promises as an os.

http://www.ulteo.com

It's because there are other webbased operating systems out there, and most of those actually do not work (well). It is understandable that people will compare a product they never saw, with products similar to it that are already out there.

Personally I'm curious, but having tried other webbased OS'es I hope it's more efficient.

Ulteo OS is not just a web-based OS. That's only part of the whole. I mean, afterall:

...the first Alpha release of Ulteo Sirius will be released as a Live CD (with an installer) to the public.
(emphasis mine)

You can't really have a livecd with an installer if it's just a web-based OS :P

Vaporware!

im betting it'll be some silly web2.0 thingy that uses the internet for far too much. I'm also expecting hardware support to be mediocre, if Gael's work on mandrake/iva is anything to go by.

James

Being fair I don't think that was Gael... leastwise in recent years!

back then he was in charge mandrake hardware support was very good... probably the best back in 8.x days...

either way, I wish him all the luck...

p.s. forgot to mention, it might only really work in France as a web based distro...because of bandwidth restrictions in other countries etc. In France 22Mbit download is the norm...within Paris for almost nothing... or actually free..

I have a friend with no PC who bought their package simply for the free phone call and got internet and 100 channels essentially free. (The package is €30, a normal phone line is 15€ without making calls so if you spend more than €15 a mon on calls its actually cheaper even if you don't use the internet or tv channels - same way if you only want the cable channels... or just internet..)...

Edited by Gowator

Vaporware!

im betting it'll be some silly web2.0 thingy that uses the internet for far too much. I'm also expecting hardware support to be mediocre, if Gael's work on mandrake/iva is anything to go by.

James

Being fair I don't think that was Gael... leastwise in recent years!

back then he was in charge mandrake hardware support was very good... probably the best back in 8.x days...

pick a really old post to quote why don't you :P that's June.

pick a really old post to quote why don't you :P that's June.

LOL, pick an old distro why don't Ya... :D

but seriously I just wanted to point out that Mandrake hardware support used to be really good...

back in 8.x days we had over 100+ graphics card vendors ... so I think its comparable and the HW support on Mandr*, at least compared to other mainstream distro's has gone downhill at some point since then... IMHO as Gael and the programmers were squeezed sideways by the business types so I really still have faith in Gael... he and the intial guys did an incredible job and I see no reason he can't do it again...

Ulteo Alpha Sirius is out. However, I am asking for help. Ulteo needs more ftp servers for distribution. I am currently downloading at a rather pathetic pace, no doubt because all of us are using the same inadequet machine. If you can offer some space, please let us know at http://www.ulteo.com

I wgot it to my server...here: http://geektyme.org/ulteo/

Please do not widely distribute this address. I do have 2TB of transfer per month but I'd prefer not risking going over that, or putting too much strain on my shared hosting server ;) I'd like to keep the number of people downloading from it rather low, please :)

http://linuxtracker.org/torrents-details.php?id=3247

How about a review now tyme or Ix ? In the release notes I don't see anything revolutionary.

1- always provide the most up to date stable features and self-upgrade automatically

2- require no, or very little, administration by the user

3- open users horizon to potentially every application which exists, the simple way

As I read this Ulteo has or will have an auto updater, it will be very user friendly and has or will have wizard and\or menu system which shows some of the applications features. Which one of the desktop distros doesn't provide these? Ok the last one is not common but I've seen a tour (a'la know your Windows better) in Suse 9.0 so it's not new either. Edited by dexter11

Ulteo Alpha Sirius is out. However, I am asking for help. Ulteo needs more ftp servers for distribution. I am currently downloading at a rather pathetic pace, no doubt because all of us are using the same inadequet machine. If you can offer some space, please let us know at http://www.ulteo.com

Ix, I have space but its on a limited access server...

I could put it on my home machine but bandwidth would be limited like tyme... and I only have 1Mbit upload,

My ISP gives me 10GB free on the backbone, Ive never needed it ... since 1Mbit is OK for my own purposes but Ulteo are welcome to use it...

However overall Gael should contact my ISP ... they have a lot of linux mirrors and actively support linux and they are the 2nd largest in France (but growing fast) ... if your in the know then you can have anyone contact me and work out if they want to use the free space while they are sorting out a permanent hosting.

Meanwhile I hope they succeed I have every confidence !

Well sent gael an email to see if they want to use the 10GB...

Edited by Gowator