Ulteo Linux

Ixthusdan

I think 'Web 2.0' really means "We didn't get Web 1.0 quite right... so let's try to do it proper this time, and call it 2.0"... the only big difference I see is in the asynchronous stuff, which is extremely useful, but only for certain types of applications.

Not very smart to launch the term when the explosion of the Dot Com bubble is still fresh in peoples memories.

web 2.0, to me, is just a sort of "idea", mainly in my mind it refers to web site design...but then i don't really care...
Edited by Darkelve

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update:

Ulteo is now in a non-public testing phase, according to Gael Duval. This is an alpha stage; when the product reaches a beta stage, he intends to release it for public testing. Alpha testers are not allowed to make public comment on the product, so actually knowing more tangible details will not happen as yet. Folks interested in alpha resting may apply at this web page.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Alpha testing is indeed going on. The beta phase of the project, when everyone can try out Ulteo, should be starting in a couple of weeks. (my guess, not official) The alpha tests are quite interesting. No public screen shots or discussions are allowed until the beta release.

For clarity: I am an alpha tester, so the info I am giving you is first-hand. There is a post on the Ulteo website with screen shots, but I am going to abide by the agreement I made. When permissible, I'll post screen shots here. ;)

Why is the secrecy? Isn't it open source? Or you can't explain that too?
Who knows, crowd control? It is open source, and they will be doing a public beta - but they want to keep it quiet during alpha. Specifically, in the e-mail, it says:
*** Please keep in mind that this alpha-test is for

registered people only and that you shouldn't

communicate publicly about the Connected Desktop

We will open it for public beta test soon later ***

For what it's worth, the information has been a little short among those of us who have been waiting for the product. Gael himself does post every few weeks, which has kind of kept me hanging in there. The concept is quite new and in direct competition with some of the Microsoft plans. An alpha stage (which is going to be problematic) that is broadcast as the product could be enough bad pr to slow it down. I think the secrecy is just caution. Gael has developed an os in the past (Mandrake) and he knows some of what did not work before.

I must admit, after I found out that he uses Kubuntu as a base and after I read the first Gael-interviews and the first "peek-previews", I completely lost interest in that project.

I must admit, after I found out that he uses Kubuntu as a base and after I read the first Gael-interviews and the first "peek-previews", I completely lost interest in that project.

I'm with arctic on this one, the whole concept sounds great, I don't see it meeting much success in practical terms. Enterprise desktops should be efficient, I can't see how this "dumb" terminal idea will work for a full OS. Some web based applications work, some don't, I feel that a web based OS is too big conceptually to be built on an application/server environment. Fair enough, so many years down the line, as technology improves, I would say yes this would work with some success, but not now, at least that's my opinion. Gael had a great innovation with Mandrake back in 1998, and he achieved so much, but that success will be hard to replicate, sometimes the opportunity only comes round once in a lifetime, I can't see this project sustaining the needs of the market today, and I can't see how Gael could maintain it financially until the time when the market needs and can accommodate this concept. JMHO

Judging from their website, Ulteo is not just a dumbed down terminal. It's just one application of the OS.

September, 27th 2006 - About the Ulteo Connected Desktop Following the Linux Format coverage, it seems that there is a need to provide a few additional details about the Connected Desktop: the Ulteo Connected Desktop is going to provide a way to use the Ulteo OS within the web-browser, for free. Of course, the Connected Desktop is a part of the Ulteo concept, which also includes an installable and free operating system for PC. The Connected Desktop will be introduced soon.

Judging from their website, Ulteo is not just a dumbed down terminal. It's just one application of the OS.

September, 27th 2006 - About the Ulteo Connected Desktop Following the Linux Format coverage, it seems that there is a need to provide a few additional details about the Connected Desktop: the Ulteo Connected Desktop is going to provide a way to use the Ulteo OS within the web-browser, for free. Of course, the Connected Desktop is a part of the Ulteo concept, which also includes an installable and free operating system for PC. The Connected Desktop will be introduced soon.

Yeah, but that's not really what the real fuss is about, or the core obective of the project, at least that's how I see it.

Edited by Reiver_Fluffi

It makes sense to me for Gael to keep it under wraps until he has something working reasonably well to show off. I'm going to wait and see before passing judgement. So many great inventions have been preceded by 'it will never work' type comments that we ought to have learnt by now to wait and see. :P

Leo

It makes sense to me for Gael to keep it under wraps until he has something working reasonably well to show off. I'm going to wait and see before passing judgement. So many great inventions have been preceded by 'it will never work' type comments that we ought to have learnt by now to wait and see. :P

Leo

I wouldn't say that it will never work, at least not in a technical sense, but from the perspective of the users, and their neads in terms of functionality, I do have my doubts. I would like to wish Gael all the best in this venture, the guy has mouths to feed, not helped by Mandriva turning their backs on him like they did, without Gael, the Mandriva fat cats wouldn't be where they are today.