Swap does not exist

Des Kinsman

Your fat32 sharedrive is invalid, because you have two mount points pointing to /dev/sda1. I would suggest you completely remove this line:

/dev/sda1 /mnt/win_d vfat /home/des umask=0022,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850 0 0

since you are using a very similar line which points to /mnt/sharedrive. Place a # at the beginning of the above line, or completely remove it to clear the file of invalid information. This line is also line 6, so when you remove, you'll also fix the error, which is occurring because you have /home/des in there from when the line was probably edited incorrectly.

Thank you BVC for explaining the correct procedure for saving in Vim without using sarcasm.....unlike another member.

It's like everything in this world....It's easy when you know how.

As you will guess I am new to Linux but that does not mean I'm thick.

Thank you again for your generous help.

Des Kinsman

It wasn't sarcasm, it was making the point.

I gave you the solution in the first place but you still missed it and so have other many people in the past. That.... : .... is very important. I bet you won't forget it in the future now.

Cheers. John.

Funny thing is John........it's still not saving the fstab.

Are you sure you are editing the fstab on the hard drive? If you do not (in rescue mode) mount the partitions, go to console, and chroot /mnt, you will be editing the rescue cd fstab in memory.

As bvc says, chroot, or edit /mnt/etc/fstab because this is the one that resides on your hard disk, rather than the one on the CD. Commands:

chroot /mnt /bin/bash
source /etc/profile

and then go from there, or just use vi to edit /mnt/etc/fstab instead of chrooting the environment.

OK! I have decided to re-install and start from scratch....it's a pity since I was beginning to get things to my liking.

However no use crying over spilt milk.

I want to use my sda1 drive which is formatted to fat32 as a share drive between Mandriva and XP.

So I don't make another fatal mistake please advise me how to edit /fstab.

Also is the swap configured correctly?....seems wrong to me, but that is how it appeared after installation.

# This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for details

/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 / ext3 defaults 1 1

/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec,users 0 0

/dev/hdd /mnt/cdrom2 auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec,users 0 0

/dev/hda1 /mnt/win_c ntfs umask=0,nls=iso8859-15,ro 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/hda2 swap swap defaults 0 0

/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01 swap swap defaults 0 0

Thank you for your help.

Where precisely is your hard drive located? ide channel and position?

hd=prinmary master?

2 cd devices are on secondary master and slave?

Are you running a RAID array?

I don't think it's raid as such, but more LVM since the two entries with /dev/VolGroup hint at this from when I've *almost* installed with LVM previously.