wma 9 & wma

ilia_kr

Hi

I've installed a win32-codecs package on mandriva2006, but even now i can't play a 'windows media 9' file format. How do i enable its playback?

I olso would like XMMS to support wma format, but cant make it play.

Please help me with this :D

wma9 plays fine here after installing win32codecs by using amarok (with the xine engine)/kmplayer (both with the xine and mplayer engines)/kaffeine (actually Amarok crashes pretty often when playing back wma, while kaffeine and kmplayer work quite solidly).

I guess this is also possible with some gstreamer frontend, but I do not use gnome so I don't know.

No idea about xmms (not using it, its a thing from the past), but beep-media-player can playback wma files with some help from ffmpeg. See for example here:

http://bmp-plugins.berlios.de/novelian/project.php?p=bmp-wma

Edited by scarecrow

• 2 months later...

... and now after i reinstalled mandriva2006 xmms doesn't want to play wma again. What should i do? is there any plugin that i couldn't find?

Maybe other player that supports mp3 & wma? (can't find that bpm-wma plugin, the link is broken...)

Edited by ilia_kr

I have both win32-codecs and xine-codecs. I am able to play wma files in Totem but not in XMMS. I personally prefere all my music to be payed on a single player. Fedora have xmms-wma package in its repositories, pity that mandriva doesn't.