2005SE: problems upgrading to T-Bird 1.5.02

Helmut

Hi folks,

I'm running 2005SE and want to upgrade to the latest T-Bird. I downloaded "thunderbird.1.5.0.2.tar.gz" from Mozilla and unpacked it. From there on I'm totally lost, and can't find anything in the FAQ's or by search. Tried for two days and nights, but no results except for feeling totally stupid. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Helmut

Edited by Helmut

Just look inside the directory you have unpacked it. You will see a startup script named either "mozilla-thunderbird" or just "thunderbird" (not using the official tarball, so I don't know exactly). Simply link it to your desktop or kicker, click the link and here you go...

Thanks scarecrow,

but it didn't work. Upacking the ...tar.gz produced a directory:

/usr/lib/mozilla-thunderbird-1.5.0.2. (The orginal (old) one was /usr/lib/mozilla-thunderbird-1.0.2 It still exists)

The contents of the new directory look very much like the old one. Amongst other folders, it contains a folder "thunderbird" with a shell script "thunderbird" of 5.1KB inside. If I place a link from that to the desktop, and then click on it, nothing happens.

Cheers,

Helmut

Edited by Helmut

If you try executing the command from the command prompt, is there any errors generated to show why it failed to load. Within the 1.5.0.2 thunderbird directory just type:

./thunderbird

if that is the name of the shell script to launch it. Post back so we can see if any errors are generated.

Dunno why it's put there- but surely enough /usr/lib isn't a natural place.

Anyway: check as root the permissions of the "thunderbird" script. Is it flagged as executable, and accessed by any user? If not, then alter its permissions.

I haven't used a Mozilla tarball since a long time ago, but I always installed/extracted them at my home directory (since I always had a single user Linux environment).

The permissions of the "thunderbird" script are all ticked.

/usr/lib is the place where the mdk-2005SE installer put mozilla-thunderbird 1.02.

That is also the same place where the Mozilla thunderbird ... tar.gz put it.

(Btw: I'm using 2005SE because 2006 will only produce psychedelic patterns on the screen after install. Whatever modifications via the console in the mcc, nothing will produce a working screen with 2006. If I add the nvidia driver to my 2005SE and go to int 3 or initiate shutdown, the screen becomes garbled and unusable too, so thats why I'm not using nvidia drivers. But thats all a totally different issue I definitely don't want to mess with any more.)

As ianw1974 suggested within the 1.5.02 thunderbird directory from prompt,

code:

./thunderbird

produces: "cannot find mozilla runtime directory. Exiting"

Same happens in the directory ... /usr/lib/mozilla-thunderbird 1.5.0.2/thunderbird

Helmut