Is wine/win4lin worth the effort?

dh2k

I've tried wine on my linux box and I have been able to run win32 applications. My only hangup with this is that the only programs that I could get running, and by running I mean installed, executable and running at an acceptable speed, generally tend to be applications that you can get readily available for linux (if not with your distro).

My gripe is that win32 applications that do not have similar apps in the linux world are not worth trying to run on wine as they run like treacle only slower (e.g. games etc) - this is my experience only.

This is based on my linux box; 1GHz/256MB/20GB pentum3 system.

Has anyone else found this to be the case?

I understand that many people use wine for various reasons - running win32 programs without having to pay for MS windows etc. But other than this, what's the point??

I've tried wine on my linux box and I have been able to run win32 applications. My only hangup with this is that the only programs that I could get running, and by running I mean installed, executable and running at an acceptable speed, generally tend to be applications that you can get readily available for linux (if not with your distro).

My gripe is that win32 applications that do not have similar apps in the linux world are not worth trying to run on wine as they run like treacle only slower (e.g. games etc) - this is my experience only.

This is based on my linux box; 1GHz/256MB/20GB pentum3 system.

Has anyone else found this to be the case?

I understand that many people use wine for various reasons - running win32 programs without having to pay for MS windows etc. But other than this, what's the point??

The efficiency of wine depends very much on the application being run and how it works. Anything using directX is not going to perform well but then many games are also slower on XP than Win98 as well.

welcome to the board :)

wine can be useful for some apps, and many people have had success. however, it's like any other emulation, it can only do so much. what sort of programs is it that you can't get running? perhaps we can give you some pointers or help you find a linux-native alternative.

as gowator points on, wine doesn't work very well with directx apps - which is what most games run on. there is an alternative, cedega, but it requires montly subscription ($5/mo.) with an initial subscription of 3 months (so, $15 basically). wine has had some success running opengl games (i.e. World of Warcraft), however, most popular opengl games have a linux installer - so wine isn't of much use there.

Edited by tyme

At the moment I'm just experimenting with all sorts of win32 apps/game. From the advice in this topic I'm pretty sure that I'm not going to keep wine on my system. I've already got of MS Win dual booted and I'm happy to keep it on my HDD, as a partition, and there are more programs for linux than I can shake a stick at.

Shame about directX and wine though. I can see wine is great if you don't have MS Windows and are I too proper to commit piracy; truly an excellent program from this view point.

Any one had any luck with directX and Win4Lin?