creating zip files

null

I need to combine a couple files into a zip file. I am taking a couple on onlline college courses and the assignments have to be submitted in zip format.

I do all the work on my linux box, but then I put the files on a usb stick, stick it in my winbox, and use winzip from there. I am tired of moving stuff around for no reason. I want to zip the files on my linux box since they are already there.

Problem is, when I go into Ark, and then select File, New - it has me browse for files. Ok so far. When I browse to the folder where the files are, the browse filter is set on showing only archive files, so it always shows empty folders. This may be dumb, but if i want to select files to zip, shouldn't it be showing me regular unzipped files...??? Either Ark is stupid, or I am, probably the latter....!

[moved from everything linux by tyme]

ok, that worked. Only problem is that when I later expand the zip file into the txt file and the html file, the html file no longer displays the images that were on the page. The only 2 files in this zip are a txt cover page, and an html file.

This is a web page design assignment that has 3 jpg pics on it, and a gif image. and a bunch of links. It displays in Firefox perfectly before being zipped. However after being zipped, then unzipped, instead of showing the images, it just shows the alt text...

I can't turn it in that way... When they unzip it at the college, it needs to be complete.

Edited by null

duh... my bad. I was thinking that I was using images from other websites... using the absolute URLs... I forgot that I had found the pics on the web, then saved them to the same folder as my html file.... sorry !!

Thanks for the command line zip tip though. Very easy. However, back to my original post, what was I doing wrong with ark ?

edit: ok, the command line zip works great now. I can't believe winzip costs $29. I didn't pay for mine, I'm using the "evaluation" version. However, every time I use it, it makes me wait for awhile before it starts working - and tells me "winzip is NOT free software!"

Edited by null

In ark, after you click 'New' it is just asking you to continue with an already existing archive or create a new one. Just give it a name, then on the new window that pops up, click 'Add file' or 'Add directory' icon.

Edited by Steve Scrimpshire

Just out of interest: does Winzip work with Wine?

Yes, it does- and same applies for 7-zip archiver. On the other hand, winrar fails to load, for some odd reason- while up to some beta stage of 3.50 it loaded just fine.

Anyway, I don't use any of the two, both ark and xarchiver (the latter not depending to any particular desktop environment) work really well.

I assume the konq way of compressing, mentioned above, would result in compressed files that would be usable by a college that uses Winzip to expand students assignments...

Man, there's lots of choices and ways to do stuff in linux...