Block Move Error 0xAE

Guest Bruce_Bremer

Guest Bruce_Bremer

I am new to Linux, so please be merciful.

Here's some background info:

Platform: Compaq Presario PIII, 450 MHz w/14Gb hard drive

Procedure: Took the old OS off the hard drive by using a Win98 boot disk with FDISK and eliminated all partitions. I then formatted the C: drive with FAT 32. Next, I loaded Windows 2000 Professional with no partitions, reformatting the entire disk with NTFS. After verifying proper operation of the Windows OS, I began installing Mandriva Free 2006, setting aside 7Gb of the 14 for Linux and selected Auto Allocate. After having the loading program copy all three CD's, I finished the Linux installation.

I then tested operation of the Linux OS by going to the KDS desktop and launching Firefox to ensure connectivity with the Internet. The OS tested SAT, and I was able to customize the wallpaper.

Next, I performed a controlled shut-down and selected windows at the boot menu. Windows launched normally and again I was able to access the Internet.

Problem: One day later, I attempted to startup and select Linux. The progress bar at the bottom of the screen halted almost immediately. Hitting the "Esc" key, a command line with the following was displayed below the selections available (linux, linux safe mode, windows): boot: linux. When I hit Return, the following error was displayed: "Block Move Error 0xAE". If I instead type "windows", the system will boot properly into the Windows OS. :wall:

Suggestions?