"Cannot install Xorg package"

Guest ddd3

Guest ddd3

I loaded Mandriva 2006 Free from the LXF cover disc, which I assumed would be the 32bit version, and it seemed to be really stable apart from Konqueror, which was easily overloaded. So pleased was I that when I saw that Mandriva were selling Official 2006 for half price I thought I'd do my bit for the company's finances and buy the 64 bit version.

I just tried to install it. After downloading the packages and filling in the user and password details I got a message. "Cannot install Xorg package".

The only option was to OK the message, at which point I was asked to choose a driver for X from a huge list of graphics cards. Mine (Voodoo 5) was preselected, so I clicked it and got the "Cannot install Xorg package" message again. So I tried to install again... and again...

On the third try I elected to watch the details as they ran by, they were too fast to read, but there seemed to be several X11 - Xorg packages in there. When it failed again I did the old ctl/alt/del salute one more time and tried to read the messages that came up. There were a list of WARNINGs, but they vanished too fast for me to read, leaving just the following on the screen above the standard shutdown messages:-

Gtk-WARNING **: Loading IM context type 'scim' failed at /usr/lib/libDrakX/mygtk2.pm line 432

Entering step 'Configure X'

The application 'runinstall2' lost it's communication to the display :0.0;

most likely the X server was shut down or you killed/destroyed

the application

FreeFontPath:FPE "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts:unscaled" refcount is 2, should be 1; fixing.

Aaugh... What's gone wrong now?

AMD 4200+ 64x2

Asus A8V motherboard

2 x 512Mb Corsair low latency RAM

Voodoo5 graphics

there are two possibilities that we want to look at first:

1) are the iso files you downloaded corrupt? use md5sum to check them. there is a FAQ on this which should help you with that.

2) if the ISOs are fine, perhaps you had a bad burn? try reburning the cds, this time at a speed below 10x (lower speeds usually result in better burns)

oh, and welcome to the board ;)

Guest ddd3
oh, and welcome to the board ;)

Thanks! I'd have been here sooner but I foolishly assumed that it was another official Mandriva site that wouldn't let me on unless I subscribed... :speechless:

Something I didn't think of mentioning in the original post. I've had downloading/burning problems in the past so when I got the 'Special offer' I decided to take the safe (Snigger) route and get the official Mandriva DVD in a nice protective box. Unfortunately I opted for the 'No manual' version so all I received was what I'd ordered, a DVD with no support paperwork, including no activation key. I've contacted Mandriva about the missing secret code, but I'm assuming that the disc they sent is OK. Would it be worth my while trying to load the 32-bit version to see if that works, or would that tell me nothing?

Edited by ddd3

You don´t need X for the installation to complete. Just leave the configuration and finish thge installation. When you boot into Mandriva for the first time add the main and contrib urpmi repo´s, remove the dvd repo and type: urpmi libxorg-X11. That will install X from the mirrors so if a faulty dvd is the prblem this would solve your problems.

edit: if this is all new to you want a step by step walk trhough let me now :)

...including no activation key.

This is Linux, you don't need an activation code! The first of many differences between the MS Windows world and the Linux world ;)

Guest ddd3

...including no activation key.

This is Linux, you don't need an activation code! The first of many differences between the MS Windows world and the Linux world ;)

Mandriva's website won't let me access tech help without an activation key, however they've just emailed me to tell me that the disc I bought didn't include support and that's why there's no key, so I sent them all that money just for the media plus postage? Starting to sound more like Microsoft every minute I'd say!

At first I thought I couldn't finish loading the program because I got caught in the 'Cannot open' loop, but by George you're right, the program's all there except for X. It loads me into the command line, but I'm afraid it's not as easy as I thought. I always did think there was no logic to Unix :puter: My excuse and I'm sticking to it...

I think I'm going to need that walk-through.

There is free Mandriva club membership. Basically you can write to the official forum with it and a few other things. It just requires registration (free) nothing else. You can get support there too.

For adding ftp mirrors visit Easy-Urpmi (look at the top of this page) and follow instructions.

Step by step:

type: urpmq --list-media

Note the install media (probably something like dvd or cd1)

Still logged in as root type: urpmi.addmedia contrib ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Man...6/media/contrib with media_info/hdlist.cz

and type: urpmi.addmedia main ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Man...i586/media/main with media_info/hdlist.cz

and type: urpmi.addmedia --update updates ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Man...0/main_updates/ with media_info/hdlist.cz

Now type: urpmi libxorg-X11

Type: urpmi icewm (a basic window manager)

Type: mcc (for mandriva control center) and configure your videocard.

Log out as root (by typing exit) and type: startx icewm

Make sure your favorite DE (Gnome or KDE or whatever) is installed, log out of icewm by clicking start, logout

and type: startx startkde (for example)

Guest ddd3

OK, before I start typing I have one more question. I had the inspiration that, since the 32-bit version had been working quite well, maybe I could download X from that disc, so I tried it and it told me I was using the wrong disc, so I took it out, and I'm not sure why, I guess I wasn't thinking, I put the dodgy disc in in it's place, whereupon it tried to load X from that, and reported that the program was already present.

Slightly mystified I tried to 'startX', and got an error message, a slight pause then two more error messages. All three had 'errno' references, which I assume means they're known problems. So my question is, before I change the URPMI source on my computer, would it be worth my while copying down the error messages and posting them here or is this just a blind alley and I should get on with it?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ddd3

Aaugh! Ten days. Shortly after typing that I went down with what seemed to be a heavy cold... Whatever it was it's laid me out for ten days. I'm not exactly feeling great right now but at least I'm out and about and I just popped in to copy out the magic code. Report back later...

Guest ddd3

[sigh]Sometimes I think I'm just to danged British...[/sigh]

So any, I did this...

Step by step:

type: urpmq --list-media

Note the install media (probably something like dvd or cd1)

The media was shown as CDROM1, 2, 3, 4, 5, & 6. So I deleted all of 'em using...

Still logged in as root type: urpmi.addmedia contrib ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Man...6/media/contrib with media_info/hdlist.cz

...and got this message:-

added medium contrib.

wrote congig file [/etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg]

retrieving source hdlist (or synthesis) of “contrib”…

retrieval of source hdlist (or synthesis) failed

no hdlist file found for medium “contrib”

examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.contrib.cz]

found 0 headers in cache

removing 0 obsolete headers in cache

wrote config file [/etc/urpmi/urpmi/cfg]

unable to update medium “contrib”

Undeterred (Well, marginally deterred, but enough to stop me. I'm dead British, me...) I soldiered on

and type: urpmi.addmedia main ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Man...i586/media/main with media_info/hdlist.cz
and got a strangely similar message in reply.

Onwards (Did I mention I'm British?)

and type: urpmi.addmedia --update updates ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Man...0/main_updates/ with media_info/hdlist.cz
This completed my set of messages. Stiff upper lip ahoy and all that, I soldiered boldy on amidst all those mad dogs...
Now type: urpmi libxorg-X11
Hooray! A different message, and much more succinct.

no package named libxorg-X11

Type: urpmi icewm (a basic window manager)
No package nam.... OK, you get the picture...
Type: mcc (for mandriva control center) and configure your videocard.
It said

Your Xorg configuration file is broken, we will ignore it. and by George it did. Still I pressed on, pick this, click that... then it asked me to choose my display and I chose 'By manf.' (Or whatever it really says. I'd grown tired of writing stuff down by now) and it froze. I ceased being British. In fact for a few moments I became quite French with a little dose of the Everglades on gay lib day thrown in for good measure.

Then I shutdown -h now and here I am, asking what went wrong?

:wall:

Welcome to the board from myself also.

I hope you typed in the entire line after the word type: and not just the part of the line that was underlined. the part underlined is the web address that you use if wanting to get to the website by browser. Do this for each of the three lines listed by DEVRIES.

urpmi.addmedia contrib ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Man...6/media/contrib with media_info/hdlist.cz

urpmi.addmedia main ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Man...i586/media/main with media_info/hdlist.cz

urpmi.addmedia --update updates ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Man...0/main_updates/ with media_info/hdlist.cz

Just ignore the underline as it appears automatically if the ftp or http appears because this usually means it is likely a web address.

The complete line is the full instruction for MCC (Mandrake Control Centre) to connect to the website and examine a special file to download a list of rpm packages available to either update or to install so you can then see what can be updated because the original program is already installed or you can install the latest versions of packages not already installed.

Cheers. John.

Guest ddd3

Yeah, I typed it in exactly as it was shown except I filled in the bit where the messageboard uses 3 dots to truncate the address. I had to click on the 'link' and then read the web address it tried to go to, but once I'd established that what I was doing was basically entering the same information twice it was easy enough to remember...

I did wonder about the network connection. It went through the motions, but I've learned from past experience that just because the lights are on it doesn't mean that anyone's home. I'll give it another couple of goes. The odds on my ISP being down have to be better than one in three.

Of course I suppose it's possible that the connection simply isn't working, just like X isn't. I guess if that's the case I'm screwed.

To save typing the easy-urpmi line, just sweep it with the mouse to highlight it then left click on it and select copy then in console you right click and select paste. That way you can't screw up the detail in the line shown by easy-urpmi, and its is so much easier.

John.