Thinking of trying Ubuntu?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I put 6.10 back on my laptop and so far only gnome-terminal crashes daily :)

Fixed my ipw3945 not restarting after suspend doing the two scripts here:

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php...3945+%2Bsuspend

7 post down

/etc/acpi/suspend.d/07-networkmanager.sh

and

/etc/acpi/resume.d/63-networkmanager.sh

I even blogged it, since my blogging update skills are lacking.... ;)

http://justinconover.com/

Edited by jlc

It looks nice, but I hate the way they enforce sudo on you, and not give you a root account that you can easily use "su" with.

I agree 100%! I used Ubuntu for about a year but eventually moved on as I felt it wasn't a 'proper' Linux distro.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just been trying out Kubuntu (about a week), and I have no problems with things crashing. Firefox is fine, I got mine from the Mozilla/Firefox site and installed it manually. I find Kubuntu to be generally faster/more responsive than Mandriva, and in my gaming benchmark tests it halves the gap that was between Mandriva and XP (albeit a relatively small gap, but still)

Also 2 little problems I had been having with Mandriva ,

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=37298

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=37376

are non existent with Kubuntu.

I was going to try Ubuntu as well, but seeing how they are basically the same, except one being Gnome-centric and the other KDE-centric, and me prefering KDE, there's probably no point. Kubuntu was a very easy and straight forward install, everything worked out of the box, except for my [gasp] USB ADSL Modem [/gasp], but it didn't in Man2006 either, however as with Man2006, after finding the info it's a snap, a couple of minutes and your done. Would have been good if it set it up out of the box like Man2007 does though. All in all, I like what I have seen this time around with Kubuntu, relatively user friendly, as is Mandriva, and for an old brain dead Windows convert like myself, thats definitely a plus.

It looks nice, but I hate the way they enforce sudo on you, and not give you a root account that you can easily use "su" with.

I agree 100%! I used Ubuntu for about a year but eventually moved on as I felt it wasn't a 'proper' Linux distro.

Totally BS statement! Ubuntu is a proper linux distro like every other distro out there. Some like sudo other do not that's fair and all about personal preferences, but stating it's not a proper linux distro is far out.

Ubuntu is a proper linux distro but it is not suitable for everyone, just like any other distro. And that's fine by me.

Different tasks - different preferences - different solutions. ;)

• 5 months later...

Thought I'd revive this. I'm on Ubuntu 7.04 and all OK, even using su instead of sudo, as I prefer this :P

Working good so far, except my SD card slot which is a pain in the arse. Worked OK with Mandriva 2007 and Debian Etch/Sid. Gotta figure out how to get it working, so just compiled a kernel to see if this helps.

even using su instead of sudo

Is this easy to achieve? [Edit] Found it :)

Do you know if you can you have a terminal open in the pwd (gnome), ie, like hitting F4 in KDE and having the konsole open in the pwd

Edited by jagwah

Do you mean pwd as in present working directory? Or as in present working desktop? If directory, what directory you want it to open in?

Try System/Preferences/Keyboard Shortcuts, you should be able to set something in there maybe.