DSL Log filled with Mandriva.com [solved]

gewb

Just looked at my DSL modem log and it is filled with entries to "www.mandriva.com" - but I didn't open my browser to that URL. Any ideas why this is happening? Does my ML 2006 (free) install keep trying to phone home?

Note -seems to hit the modem every five seconds.

Regards,

gewb

[moved from Installing Mandriva by spinynorman]

Well is it trying to check for updates or something like that i.e. checking for system/distro updates but defaulted to every 5 minutes or something ?

Or did you set up the "mandriva online" facility ? where you upload your configuration and it's capable of making sure that you're as up to date for security etc reasons ???

Note down whatever the URL is that it's trying to contact, and then start looking through the stuff in /var/log and see if theres a clue there (don't know what it might be under, for example I have 28 files and 12 folders in my /var/log - so you just have to look and see if anything particular is trying to connect to mandriva).

Oh and if you did setup the mandriva online, that is a "phone home" type thing, but it's not a spyware thing per se, unless you didn't follow what it was and had set it up because it's part of the distro's "offerings". Personally, I uninstall it. I can do any updates myself, without any assistance from mandriva.

regards

John

Hello John -

Thanks for your reply. I have no idea what it is trying to do, only that it shows a string of entries and the modem shows activity every five seconds when a browser is open.

Didn't set up mandriva online 'cause I had dialup when I installed ML2006. The modem log shows "www.mandriva.com".

I'll check the var/logs tonight-thanks.

Regards,

gewb

May have found the cause...

In the MCC > Network & Internet > Connections...

...I had checked (selected) "Get DNS servers from DHCP". Checking the "Alter Misc. internet settings" - it showed the "First DNS server" as the DSL modem, second as my ISP.

I deselected "Get DNS servers frrom DHCP" the reset the "First DNS" as my ISP and now there are no more "www.mandriva.com" entries in the log.

Go figure.

Regards,

gewb

Just looked at my DSL modem log and it is filled with entries to "www.mandriva.com" - but I didn't open my browser to that URL. Any ideas why this is happening? Does my ML 2006 (free) install keep trying to phone home?

Note -seems to hit the modem every five seconds.

Regards,

gewb

[moved from Installing Mandriva by spinynorman]

Hello daniewicz -

You're confused? :huh2: Just think how confused and confounded I feel! :wacko:

That "solution" didn't make sense to me but it fixed the problem. Haven't seen a single "www.mandriva.com" entry in the DSL log since making that change.

Like I said, go figure.

Thanks for your reply - I'll keep an eye on the log.

Regards,

gewb

Well I am confused :unsure:

If you see any more strange entries in your modem log, let us know.