Strange Nvidia drivers...won't load openGL

Guest boonders

I've installed the 3123 version of the nvidia drivers on ML 9.0, I've had them working previously on RH 8.0, etc. but all works fine until I try to load an openGL app like return to castle wolfenstein and it says it can't load the library, chromium has a similar problem

any help would be nice (remmeber, it books into X just fine, only openGL apps fail)

Also, in the XF86Config-4 file, the reference to glx

Load glx #3d layer

Should read

Load /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.so #3d layer

]

This line being incorrect will not stop X from loading, but it will cause OpenGL apps to fail.

Check in /etc/X11/xf86config-4 what's listed for "driver" in the "Device" section. It should be "nvidia"

Quote:

Section "Device"

Identifier "device1"

VendorName "nVidia Corporation"

BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce2 DDR (generic)"

Driver "nvidia"

Option "DPMS"

This line being incorrect will not cause X to fail if you have forgotten to put in the line "Load 'glx'", but the nvidia driver will not load, thus causing OpenGL apps to fail.

and the 1st entry after mine, If i have loaded the RPMs or even the source of the nvidia prop. drivers, IT WOULDN'T LOAD X AT ALL if i still had "nv" for my driver.

That is not entirely correct. Try changing that back to 'nv' and removing the line "Load 'glx'" and restart X and see what happens.

Guest joehill
Okay, I wasn't trying to be insulting, and no they are not, if you reread what I posted, it was a problem with a left over library, not loading GLX from the get go.  Those responses would do somebody absolutely no good that has the same problem as me, i just wanted to make sure if somebody does a search, they don't come across that hogwash.

oh and what is loading when you load glx, well, golly gee, it's a LIBRARY.

The thing that bothers me the most is that I have never seen anything like this happen on this board before. I have never once seen anyone with the audacity to come on here looking for help, and then treat well-intentioned people who are trying to help with nothing but disrespect, it is truly gallling.

where's DOlson when we need him?

Guest boonders

I'm sorry, but I find it a bit disrespectful and dumbing down when somebody basically states things directly out of the documentation. And, when they don't even look at what my problem is, all they see "nvidia problem" and they just post BS that is POSTED ALL OVER THE MESSAGE BOARD. I searched for the answer on the board, trust me, I saw that answer about 50 times. And generally, after somebody has responded to an initial post, it doesn't generally get looked at by many people, they assume, GENERALLY, problem solved. So when somebody comes in and puts that junk after my initial post, it kind of pissed me off, it wasn't helpful, and it seemed that they didn't understand or even care to read what my problem really was. I'm sorry if I came off as a jerk. I, ME, personally flamed after I saw the responses, and I'm sorry. But, others...put heat on the fire too.

boonders, thank you for atempting to appologize! :D

Let me clarify something. It's *extremely* rare for someone to go through the docs, google, and search the forums b4 posting a question about nvidia, or any topic for that matter. It's usually a "newbie", excited that linux is installed yet frustrated that there's no X, and they go straight to the "New Topic" link. Because of this, ALL NVIDIA post are treated as such unless it is stated that the basics had already been covered. You did mention RH8.0, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, and we can see you had 35 post here, but not everyone is going to catch the hint and see the clues. :wink: So please try to provide as much detail as possible in the future. :)

Guest richard_haggath

i have watched this thread from the start and seen it change from a simple question to a flaming session to god knows what else when the problem was solved 20 or so posts ago. i had similar problems with my nvidia driver install and sorted it out by someone cutting and pasting something i should have read previously. like bvc said i was to eager to get stuck in. but if you read everything correctly prior to installing you would know that it's wise to remove all traces of previous installations. these guys here are not trying to dumb you down but help you out like they helped me (THANKS) so just accept there help and if you solve it yourself have the courtesy to thank people for trying to help you.

Guest boonders

Sorry, to everybody, I don't think i've gotten enough sleep lately :twisted: :shock: :oops:

I definitely should have provided more info on what I had attempted and examined.

Thank you all for your help...I will enter an anger management course soon...(jok'n)

Guest joehill

Okay, flame war over. I share some responsibility in that as well, I guess "get lost" was just asking for it.

All I can say is, you are right, we have all been through that situation. It happens all the time. You are looking for one answer and you get another. I myself have sat waiting for hours waiting for a response, and one comes you get all excited, the page loads and...d'oh!

As far as I am concerned, I try very hard to help people if I can nowadays, because I am trying to "give something back". It is really a nice thing to think that I can help someone through a process that I have been through. All the people here I think have similar feelings in this area.

Don't let this give you the impression that this is the way things are around here. This board has something, it is evidence for me and my anarchist philosophy that people, left alone, will do just fine. We don't need government to tell us how to behave, we don't need courts to tell us what is Just. And of course the whole open source thing...

Anyway, take it easy, I hope that something like this is as rare as it should be, let's remember who the REAL enemy is.