Strange Nvidia drivers...won't load openGL

Guest boonders

Guest boonders

I've installed the 3123 version of the nvidia drivers on ML 9.0, I've had them working previously on RH 8.0, etc. but all works fine until I try to load an openGL app like return to castle wolfenstein and it says it can't load the library, chromium has a similar problem

any help would be nice (remmeber, it books into X just fine, only openGL apps fail)

Check in /etc/X11/xf86config-4 what's listed for "driver" in the "Device" section. It should be "nvidia"

Section "Device"

Identifier "device1"

VendorName "nVidia Corporation"

BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce2 DDR (generic)"

Driver "nvidia"

Option "DPMS"

Also, in the XF86Config-4 file, the reference to glx

Load glx #3d layer

Should read

Load /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.so #3d layer

Guest boonders

okay guys, i know your trying to help, but as i said, it loads fine...

its a problem with library's from other installs picking on me... :)

i just did a clean install with 9.1 and it works fine :)

Guest joehill

er, that's what they are talking about. X will start fine with any old gl settings in there, but you won't be able to run any open gl based apps.

if those items are not set correctly in xf86config, no gl game or app will ever work, no matter what driver you are using.

have any error messages mentioned what library you are missing?

hmm, now that I read your post again, it looks like lxthusdan was right on the money. the library it does not find is the one that your xf86conifg should be pointing to, ie. the glx lib.

Guest boonders

no...they were giving a generic answer to my problem that I have seen people do all the time in message boards about nvidia products...they don't look at the problem at all, they just cut and paste alittle something. If you remove GLX from the XFConfig it shouldn't load with nvidia prop. drivers. They weren't looking at the situation, it was bad left over references to old drivers left on my puter that were conflicting

Guest boonders

okay buddy...lets just flame! "get lost"? What's up with that? how about you get lost? I'm sorry, but if somebody makes a completely unintelligent response to my question It's kind of annoying, especially when I'm looking for specific information. I know what the documentation for the nvidia drivers looks like, and I can read it on my own, I don't need somebody spewing it back at me.

So, how about you get lost?

I am not flaming.

Where in your original question am I suppose to assume that you have conflicting installations of Nvidia drivers? If you re-read your post, both answers were given at the information offered. And I haven't had to copy and past Nvidia driver issues since Mandrake 7.1.

You know, maybe they shouldn't pay me my salary for being here. Maybe I should be fired. Oops, I said I wasn't flaming. :mystismiles:

Guest boonders

I'm sorry, but, in calling a statement as unintelligent, I would hope that person understands, that I do not value their response, therefore, I would prefer they not respond again...which begs the quesiton...why did you respond? :lol: :lol:

And exactly were did you so inteligently post thay you had previuosly installed the drivers to 9.0?

Just because you had RH working doesn't tell us that. It also doesn't tell us what else you've done to try to correct your problem.

If you want a detailed answer please give a detailed post.

The truely uninteligent are the ones who don't realize their own short commings.

When you have a similar problem again, read those answers and think about what they said. Those are perfectly good responses to your question. If you ever want to get help on any other problems, you may want to not be so insulting.

Guest boonders

Okay, I wasn't trying to be insulting, and no they are not, if you reread what I posted, it was a problem with a left over library, not loading GLX from the get go. Those responses would do somebody absolutely no good that has the same problem as me, i just wanted to make sure if somebody does a search, they don't come across that hogwash.