CD-ROM issue in FC4

Do you have to unmount all CDs? I only had to right-click "eject" on DVDs, everything else it worked in a normal way.

Yes, if i right-click "eject" on CDs the cd-rom opens, but not when i push the eject button

I've only encountered this in other distros when it thought the disk was busy because some app was using it. I couldn't even unmount or eject or anything just reboot to reset. Not sure what app was locking the drive.

Could be a similar thing is happening to you.

Unfortunately, I'd only had it happen a few times, and I think it was either because the app crashed and stopped me ejecting/unmounting it, or I had no idea what the app was and had to reboot.

Does it happen every time you use the CD-ROM? For example, insert a CD, and then attempt to eject it immediately. Does it work? Or does it still fail even without attempting to access the CD-ROM?

Was nautilus closed after you browsed it? If it's still displaying one of the directories on the CD-ROM this could explain the problem.

The nautilus was closed.

I don't have a CR-ROM icon on a desktop, it appears only after i open the drive in nautilus.

Immediately after the icon pops up i can't eject the CD-ROM buy normal way.

Cant it be connected to fstab setup?

my hdd entry in fstab:

/dev/hdd				/media/cdrom			auto	pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0

I might be tempted to change it. Here is mine in mandriva:

/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec,users 0 0

your differences are pamconsole and managed. Maybe remove these two and see how you get on, and then add them back one by one to see which one causes the problem.

Sorry for replying this late. Last time, I rebooted into my fedora box and found out that FC5 doesn't even have any entries for CDs or DVD in fstab anymore and when I wanted to post that information, the forum went down. :( But in FC5, I can also eject my media with the eject button as I could in FC4.

No, I won't reinstall FC4 now for checking this, ;) but have you searched the fedoraforum already on this topic? If yes and there is no answer, then start a new topic there. I guess one of the many RHCEs that roam around there might know an answer to your problem.