About Kanotix!

From the kanotix's site:

* Kanotix will run as a LIVE-CD on practically any computer -- automatically detecting and configuring virtually any piece of hardware. It is ideal for analysis, data rescue, forensic work, removal of viruses on Win-PCs - or simply for safe surfing and mailing in an internet cafe. It installs to your hard drive in just a few minutes and is ideal for use on your desktop workstation or notebook, or as a server.

1) But how can i use it's liveCD to make analysis, data rescue and specially removal of viruses on Win-PCs?

2) Here by "safe surfing", it means what? Does it has some more features for safe surfing than madriva 2006?

Thanks for your attention!

Regards!

Put it in your CD drive and reboot the system should start from CD. If not check your BIOS and set your boot preferences (which device your computer should boot).

If you surf under Linux is generally safer then using the default Windows setup with IE. I don't know if it has any other security features though.

1) By booting Kanotix, mounting the Windows partitions and doing what you need to do (e.g. run clamav on that partition).

2) Safe surfing = nothing will be stored on your machine once you power down. Viruses, trojans and other junk won't harm your computer as everything will be stored in RAM for the running session and will be deleted once you reboot.

Put it in your CD drive and reboot the system should start from CD. If not check your BIOS and set your boot preferences (which device your computer should boot).

If you surf under Linux is generally safer then using the default Windows setup with IE. I don't know if it has any other security features though.

Erm, its pretty much impossible to get a virus on a read-only CD

However by this statment he means you can boot from the CD in an internet cafe etc. into linux, use a secure browser etc. and it also has a built in firewall on top you can activate from the menu and is preconfigured for the live CD...

It also has captive NTFS built in so you can read/write NTFS partitions and remove virus's... and a terminal server and ssh ....

wow..nice!

By the way, does the clamav in kanotix and in mandriva has an on-access/real-time detection??

No idea, I don't use an antivirus except on scanning eMail since I don't have any windows computers. I onlty scan eMail to prevent forwarding it to someone who is using windows...

ok..

Hey btw, i have searched for klamav or related anti-virus on kanotix' star-menu and it is nowhere :( ??

Can't recall if this applies for the latest beta of Kanotix, but Kano favors f-prot instead, and has included a comprehensive script to load it, incl. the latest virus definitions... simply open a console or alt+f2 and type in

sudo f-prot -h

The rest aren't too difficult.

Same applies for the MS libraries of the "captive-ntfs" module, they couldn't be included in the CD and have to be downloaded online.