Wireless Encrypted Network

mystified

I tried assigning it a static ip because altho I use dhcp my ip provided me with my own ip if that makes sense. It didn't work.

You'd need to set a private range IP that is in the range that your router will support. The IP provided by your ISP is your external IP and is the IP address of the modem/router.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

eh?

lets just try and set this up manually to prove it works,

reload your wireless driver if you can, by rmmod'ing then modprobing it. its the easiest way to clear out it's settings from any crap mandrake has set. then

ifconfig ethX down

iwconfig ethX mode managed

iwconfig ethX key open WEPKEY

iwconfig ethX essid ESSID

iwconfig ethX

and check that there is a bssid (like a mac address) next to 'Access Point' and that it isnt 00:00:00:00:00:00

if there is, then your wireless card has successfully associated with your wireless network.

dhcpcd ethX

OR (not sure which mandrake uses)

dhclient ethX

and after proving that it works, and your card is not fried, fight with mandrake's hideous network tools to configure it.

James

I went thru all these steps but when I got to dhclient eth0 it kept trying to start the networking and failing.

may I ask a couple of questins?

1) In one of your posts, you reported this error

Bringing up interface eth1: ipcal: bad netmask. IP

But your interface is wlan0... Shouldn't then the network script start wlan0, instead of eth1?

2) Is WiFi only interface you have? Do you have both eth0 (wired) and WiFi interface up? Then the problem could be incorrect routing. Try to copy ifcfg-wlan0 from your laptop to this box (to make sure that all keys are identical), edit/disable Mac filtering on the router if you use it, then stop all network interfaces (ifdown eth0, ifdown wlan0, etc), then start only wlan0 by typing ifup wlan0.

Edited by coverup

This box is strictly wireless and yes you are correct, I should have used eth1. I was having a major duh! moment. :D

My laptop is another issue that I have so I can't copy anything altho I did compare everything before and made sure it was correct. I will go thru all the steps iphy suggested later when I have a bit more time and post back the results.

Does encrypted wireless just suck in Mandriva cause now I'm having the exact same problem with my laptop and it was working fine? :wall:

I still haven't messed with the desktop, will do that tomorrow but on my laptop I tried the commands iphitus suggested and got

Error for wireless request "Set Mod" (8806) SET failed on device; Operation not supported

Does encrypted wireless just suck in Mandriva cause now I'm having the exact same problem with my laptop and it was working fine? :wall:

I still haven't messed with the desktop, will do that tomorrow but on my laptop I tried the commands iphitus suggested and got

Error for wireless request "Set Mod" (8806) SET failed on device; Operation not supported

I get a similar error time to time on my laptop. It usually goes away after reboot.

Ok, I'm getting this error message on the desktop now.

iwconfig eth1 mode manager

Yes, I was root.

Bought a new nic and had the same results with both Ubuntu and Mandriva. :wall::wall:

So far it seems like I have a choice of unencrypting my network or having a wireless with no internet connection.

I would be tempted on disabling wep on the access point and also for your wireless configuration and testing to see if you have connectivity again. You mentioned (in the other post) that it all started to go wrong when wep was enabled.

I've had this with my machine too when using WPA. If it's not configured and working correctly, I get nothing, no connection or anything because WPA wasn't able to authenticate and give me the access.

If you disable wep, and then try again you'll probably be working (hopefully), and then you can start at securing again with wep later.