firefox preferences ? [Solved]

bigjohn

Does anyone know how I set my firefox preferences, so that opening links always starts a new tab (as opposed to a new window)?

I'm sure I've had it set like that before, but can't recall whether this was done by editing preferences or with an extension of some sort.

regards

John

Edited by bigjohn

As above for Firefox 1.5.X, and for older versions you'll need a tabbrowser extension to do that.

Well as I haven't located an rpm version of firefox yet, I managed to find the older version of the tabbrowser preferences extension which I hope will do the trick.

Thanks for the responses people.

regards

John

As above for Firefox 1.5.X, and for older versions you'll need a tabbrowser extension to do that.

Well as I haven't located an rpm version of firefox yet, I managed to find the older version of the tabbrowser preferences extension which I hope will do the trick.

No, that hasn't worked either.

Damn! This is supposed to be an easy thing to set up.

any other ideas please ?

regards

John

Another nice thing about 1.5 from Firefox is that the automatic updates work through the browser!

Oh, OK I'll go and get it and give it a try.

Ok, so I've managed to get it, and install it - sort of.

Wheres the normal mandriva location(s) for it i.e. system wide, so that all users can get at it ?

Because I've currently got it in my /home but obiously I want it so that it's system wide and all users have their own bookmarks etc (yes I have got a seperate copy of my bookmarks file) ???

regards

John

p.s. and yes I have done a search, but none of what I read made sense too me

Edited by bigjohn

Why don´t you grab a firefox 1.5 rpm from Mandriva Cooker?

Cooker? You mean "the twilight zone" ? :lol2:

Yeah! s'pose I could. It's just that I've usually shyed away from cooker because I had a bad experience when I first started with linux

Because I know little or nothing about cooker repositories, I don't know just how "cooked" it actually is?

I'll keep that idea in mind though, because if any other leads fail, it should (in theory) put stuff where mandriva like it to go (hopefully).

regards

John

because after it has a "mandriva touch" :D - lots of people have trouble with them.

Big John, I posted a very detailed instructions on how one can install firefox from the tarball: https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtop...0251&hl=coverup

In essense, uninstall rpm if you had it (just to get it off the way), as root create a directory in /usr/local/, move or copy new firefox stuff to that directory, and create a symbolic link in /usr/local/bin to point to the firefox executable located in /usr/local/{created dir}. Once this is done, you can start firefox from the CLI or add an entry to the menu, or just create a shortcut on the desktop.

Edited by coverup

because after it has a "mandriva touch" :D - lots of people have trouble with them.

Big John, I posted a very detailed instructions on how one can install firefox from the tarball: https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtop...0251&hl=coverup

In essense, uninstall rpm if you had it (just to get it off the way), as root create a directory in /usr/local/, move or copy new firefox stuff to that directory, and create a symbolic link in /usr/local/bin to point to the firefox executable located in /usr/local/{created dir}. Once this is done, you can start firefox from the CLI or add an entry to the menu, or just create a shortcut on the desktop.

Which I didn't understand the first time I read it (a couple of hours ago) :wall: :huh: :lol2: .

So if I create the /usr/local, is that where I'd move the tar.gz package too and then unpack it ? Also, does that mean that it's available for all users, with different profiles (and logically different bookmarks/preferences/etc etc)?

I'm not particularly fussed whether the firefox is from the tar.gz or an rpm (I've not had any trouble with rpms). Though I've been trying to get the rpm from cooker - which I have. Initially it was missing libnspr4 and libnss3 - which I got from the Dutch nluug mirror, but now it also wants to get libavahi-glib1 something something, which is located in the mde repository, except the little bugger doesn't want to let me download it at the moment. Damn!

As I say, I don't care what form it comes in, as long as it's in a location that allows global access for all users, but so that we can all get to our own bookmarks/preferences etc etc.

regards

John

p.s. and yes, I have copied my bookmarks.html file so I can uninstall everything without any worry.

p.p.s I'm using the tar.gz version to post this, but it's in the wrong place - so I'll read your linked post (again - fourth time) and see if I can work out what the hell I'm supposed to be doing.

Edited by bigjohn

Which I didn't understand the first time I read it (a couple of hours ago) :wall: :huh: :lol2: .

So if I create the /usr/local, is that where I'd move the tar.gz package too and then unpack it ? Also, does that mean that it's available for all users, with different profiles (and logically different bookmarks/preferences/etc etc)?

I'm not particularly fussed whether the firefox is from the tar.gz or an rpm (I've not had any trouble with rpms). Though I've been trying to get the rpm from cooker - which I have. Initially it was missing libnspr4 and libnss3 - which I got from the Dutch nluug mirror, but now it also wants to get libavahi-glib1 something something, which is located in the mde repository, except the little bugger doesn't want to let me download it at the moment. Damn!

As I say, I don't care what form it comes in, as long as it's in a location that allows global access for all users, but so that we can all get to our own bookmarks/preferences etc etc.

regards

John

.tar.gz is only a large gzipped tarball. You can unpack it in your home dir if you like. After you have unpacked it, .tar.gz file is no longer needed. Unpacking the .tar.gz file should have created the directory called firefox (if I am not mistaken), move this directory with all its content to /usr/local/. Then create a symbolic link as suggested, call it firefox (or whatever you like). If you put the symbolic link in /usr/local/bin/ or in /usr/bin/, it should be available to all users.

When users will run this command for the first time, it will create a new profile for those users. Each user will get his/her own profile storred in /home/username/.mozilla/firefox/ - indeed each user would like to have their own preferences, bookmarks, etc.

regards

John

p.s. and yes, I have copied my bookmarks.html file so I can uninstall everything without any worry.

p.p.s I'm using the tar.gz version to post this, but it's in the wrong place - so I'll read your linked post (again - fourth time) and see if I can work out what the hell I'm supposed to be doing.

Well I've been trying to follow coverups instuctions, but I'm getting lost in the middle bit

In my case I have a previosly installed version of FF in /usr/local/Firefox. I wish to keep it, so I simply rename that dir to Firefox-old, then move the new stuff to /usr/local/ and rename the new dir as Firefox-1.5:

CODE

# mv Firefox Firefox-old

# mv /home/user/firefox /usr/local/

# mv /usr/local/firefox /usr/local/Firefox-1.5

# ln -s Firefox-1.5 Firefox

The last line creates the symbolic link to the new installation of Firefox. Usually (especially if you have an RPM installation or an entry in KDE menu) firefox is started using a script located in /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin/. By creating a symbolic link, you make those scripts to point to the new FF executable. On my system this means that

CODE

/usr/local/bin/firefox -> /usr/local/Firefox/firefox -> /usr/local/Firefox-1.5/firefox

so now when I click on an icon linked to /usr/local/bin/firefox, the new FF 1.5 will start instead of the old version. Next time I update FF, I will simply point the symbolic link Firefox to the new bundle, without messing up the system.

with the references to the old and new. I don't have an old or new, just the /usr/local/Firefox. So does that mean that I need to symlink the script (or both the script and the executable) to /usr/local/bin or is it ok just to use /usr/local/Firefox/firefox for starting it with an icon ?

Plus will it allow multiple profiles so that all of the user accounts can have their own bookmarks/preferences/extensions etc etc ??? Or does that also have to be done via a symlink from /usr/local/Firefox/firefox to /usr/local/bin/firefox ???

Sorry if that sounds a bit lame, but it's just confusing the hell out of me.

regards

John

{edit}Bugger! typical. Just as I finish asking another bit of a question and post it, I notice a nice, easily understood reply to my earlier query :lol2: Ah well, off I go then to do the symlinks that coverup has suggested {/edit}

Edited by bigjohn

BigJohn,

bokmarks, preferences, themes, extns and even some plugins are installed under user's home directory, in .mozilla sub-directory, independent of the location of firefox executable which you are trying to install.

The only thng to look at is that when uprading from a very old version, there might be compatibility problems I am not sure which, as I upgraded from 1.0 to 1.5 without those. But you might have seen advice to rename .mozilla to .mozilla-old in some threads here. If the user has to rename his .mozilla forder, then they have to impot bookmarks and re-install themes/extensions/plugins.

Stil, location and contents of bookarks for a user is not affected by the location of firefox executable file, whether it is /usr/bin or /usr/local or even /the/very/nice/unknown/location