X restarts when I close laptop in mandriva 2006

Guest w0lf

I recently upgraded to Mandriva 2006 from 10.1 on my Dell C640 laptop. If I close the screen, I lose all my applications, and the X server restarts and gives me a login screen. This did not happen in 10.1. How can I fix this? It may be some X server config option but I have no idea. Is this related to ACPI or APM somehow? Thanks.

How did you do the upgrade? Was it from CD media, or using urpmi sources?

I normally find little problems with upgrades, and tend to do clean installs normally. What kernel are you running since the upgrade?

uname -r

just in case you still have a 10.1 kernel running on your system. The minimum kernel with 2006 was 2.6.12.12mdk, but the latest is 2.6.12.18mdk. It could be you're better doing a clean install rather than upgrade because of issues experienced with upgrades, that clean installs don't have.

I'm running 2.6.12-12mdk. I completely agree with you about install vs upgrade and I usually do complete installs. In this case, I had burned a DVD and wanted to test it out. My work laptop was running 10.1, and I thought, what the heck, let me try an upgrade on this. The upgrade worked quite well, surprisingly, and I was expecting broken stuff, especially after doing an update. Everything works fine except for this. I have looked into power management and X config files but I can't really find anything. This is what /var/log/messages says:

Apr 30 13:57:22 localhost kernel: video bus notify

Apr 30 13:57:22 localhost kdm[3153]: X server for display :0 terminated unexpectedly

Apr 30 13:57:22 localhost gconfd (user-4709): Received signal 15, shutting down cleanly

Have you applied any updates to the system since install? There were a lot of fixes, so it might be worthwhile doing this.

System/Configuration/Packaging/MandrivaUpdates

or from the command line:

urpmi.update -a
urpmi --update --auto-select

make sure you have your easyurpmi repositories setup, link at the top of this page.