Want Help Installing Man '06 On XP PC With 2 HD's

AmEyeMad?

Everything finished. Fine. :)

If you need some help again, just ask.

PS: Changing the bootloaders is not hard, as it can be done at the end of the install-procedure or later in the MCC, if necessary. Even a nice floppy bootloader can be created easily. That is one thing I like about Mandriva. Easy to use and very flexible/powerful at the same time. :)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you need some help again, just ask.

There is 1 thing remaining and when solved I hope it will see me finally set and running with my new Windows/Mandy '06 dual boot PC:

1. When shutting down there is a "Failed" in red after the following....Stopping NF Locking....(Failed)

Thanks in advance for any advice....

Edited by AmEyeMad?

This is simple, nfs client is causing this. I used to get it on mine, open a console window and type this:

urpme nfs-utils-clients

and this will remove it. Then you won't get the error. Chances are you're not using nfs anyway, so there's no harm removing it. Something else worth doing:

urpme kat
urpme lisa
urpme portmap

since you'll not be using any of these either. This will help reduce the services running, free up some memory, and be better for you!

Some info on this. NFS is a network file system, and really old, and is for sharing between Linux/Unix systems. However, you can use SSH Server for similar functionality now. Unless you want to share files between more than one Linux system, I wouldn't bother having it installed, or I would use SSH instead. KAT is a desktop search, but uses a lot of resources, and everyone removes it because it's rubbish. Lisa is like a network neighbourhood in Windows. I don't expect many use it, so easy just to remove and portmap is also associated and used with NFS normally.

Yes, it can be removed. Alternatively, you can simply disable the service in the MCC → System →Services section. That should stop that "error" message, too.

True, you can disable too :P either in gui or:

chkconfig nfs-lock off

as well as other others. I'm just a clean freak who removes all unnecessary programs/services completely :D

Hello there everyone! ( A special hi to ianw1974 and Arctic!!!!Long time not been here guys :D )

Yeah, i have a question, what does the following mean and are these for?

urpme kat
urpme lisa
urpme portmap

Thanks!

( By the way, sorry to hijack your thread AmEyeMad! ;) )

Edited by wakish

Kat is a desktop file indexing tool, similar to beagle.

lisa is a local area network information server, an integral part of KDE that allows you to browse e.g. through windows networks using konqueror.

portmap is a server that converts the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) program numbers into DARPA protocol (dunno what DARPA stands for) and is like lisa a daemon/service needed for certain networks.

urpme is used for removing programs. (=opposite to urpmi)

and welcome back. ;)

Hi,

Well I've been running my PC with Mandriva '06/Windows XP for about a week now without any hassles at all.

It's been a positive learning experience thanks mainly to ianw1974 and arctic , both of whom I am extremely grateful to, for giving their time and for helping me understand knowledge that I had already encountered but due to inexperience, was unable to interpret.

Thanks to their consideration, I am now able to look back at the information I had compiled to help me with the dual-booting task but couldn't understand, and laugh at the logical simplicity of it all!

The experience has improved on how I feel about problem solving my PC, both from behind the keyboard and under the bonnet/hood.

Many Thanks,

ameyemad :jump: