How to change Mandriva Star KMenu Icon?

PeterPanic

How can I change the "Yellow Star" Icon?

OK, I know by now that I could overwrite menuk-mdk.png in my theme folders, but there has to be some config file containing the name "menuk-mdk.png" itself which I could change... No? I tried grep in my .kde/share/config dir, but no menuk-mdk.png ... It's gotta be somewhere :-)

And why isn't that a standard config option in MCC or the KDE CC (OK, rethorical question, you aren't responsible, I guess... ;D )

Is there any "theme designer" RPM out there which could do the job inside a theme?

Ciao,

PeterPanic

OK, I know by now that I could overwrite menuk-mdk.png in my theme folders, but there has to be some config file containing the name "menuk-mdk.png" itself which I could change...

Mandriva, for one reason or another, hard codes (put's it in the actual program code, so that you can't change it easily) this image into the KDE they build (it's not a default in a normal KDE install), so there is no config file that you can change, the only option you have is to overwrite menuk-mdk.png - don't ask me why Mandriva does this, I guess it's 'cuz...I dunno. I can't think of a good reason :unsure:

This is a Tips and Tricks I wrote on this:

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=30334

One of the things I like most about linux is how you can configure its appearnce to suit your own personal tastes (for the most part). Ian, that yellow star menu icon has been driving me nuts since I first started using Mandrake! So thank you very much for posting that tip! I followed your instruction and they worked :D

Thanks ianw! :thumbs:

Actually I didn't want to get rid of my yellow star, I kinda like it :P or at least I do since I got rid of the "Menu" text over it. But what your tip helped me do was finally get rid of that silly "snowman holding a carrot" icon for the desktop! Yay!

Thanks ianw! :thumbs:

Actually I didn't want to get rid of my yellow star, I kinda like it :P or at least I do since I got rid of the "Menu" text over it. But what your tip helped me do was finally get rid of that silly "snowman holding a carrot" icon for the desktop! Yay!

I´ve got one of them too*! How did you zap it? :)

ianw's instructions (see link above) say how to replace the file menuk-mdk.png in each of the 5 directories, 16x16, 32x32, 48x48, 64x64 and 128x128. I just did the same thing but for the files for the snowman, I think it was desktop-mdk.png or something like that. I just did (as root) the five cp commands ianw described, replacing the snowman with one of the other ones from the same directory which looks a bit more suitable. I don't know if that is the only or the best way to fix it but it worked for me :D

ianw's instructions (see link above) say how to replace the file menuk-mdk.png in each of the 5 directories, 16x16, 32x32, 48x48, 64x64 and 128x128. I just did the same thing but for the files for the snowman, I think it was desktop-mdk.png or something like that. I just did (as root) the five cp commands ianw described, replacing the snowman with one of the other ones from the same directory which looks a bit more suitable. I don't know if that is the only or the best way to fix it but it worked for me :D

Yay! again I did it. :D Just as an aside doing all that typing in the terminal is quite daunting for me so what I did :P was open the Kate editor and typed out what I thought was the script. That way I felt I was still in some sort of control of the situation (I like being in control :)). Then I found that you could open a terminal from that little square box in the bottom left hand corner (cool!) so I copied and pasted the five lines from the Kate text into the terminal line by line (typing in <y> when it asked me if I wanted to overwrite. Anyway it worked.

Is this juniorburger hacking that I am practicing? :D I suspect there are some very clever people ¨in there¨ that are having giggle about this - I hope so. This is fun! Thanks again for your advice.

By the way will this technique work on that evil looking billygoat with the horns and big ears?

Ah, I now know what snowman your talking about :P

I just had to look, because I use a different iconset, so don't have it on mine. It's meant to be a pencil and paper, with a desktop, and light ;)

At least thats what I could make out looking at the 128x128 icon :D

The lines I had in my howto, I normally just copy into a text document, save it, and then chmod +x filename to make it executable, and then run it with ./filename and it processes all the lines in one go ;)

I've no idea what you're smoking for the Billy Goat icon though :P

Ah, I now know what snowman your talking about :P

I just had to look, because I use a different iconset, so don't have it on mine. It's meant to be a pencil and paper, with a desktop, and light ;)

At least thats what I could make out looking at the 128x128 icon :D

The lines I had in my howto, I normally just copy into a text document, save it, and then chmod +x filename to make it executable, and then run it with ./filename and it processes all the lines in one go ;)

I've no idea what you're smoking for the Billy Goat icon though :P

I think he must be a Scottish billygoat because his name is E Mac ? ;)