kde repair problems

Ixthusdan

Gowater, I used to do that but am curently using Fedora core 5 with grub as my home plate. The upgrade route auto installs lilo and I really like the grub with Fedora. It's all aesthetics, though, not really an issue.

I added thac's sources to my updates, which I have found out is not a good idea. urpmi installed some rpm's that are not compatible, and I have borked kde. Here is the problem: I can't get rid of enough kde to install the original. I tried installing all of thac, but no go. Any thoughts on removing kde generically? The tools are even borked; only commandline is working. (I am using gnome right now! :lol:)

I had this problem a few weeks ago when mde kde wouldn't want to install because it depended on packages which were older than the installed ones. Mmodem said this would happen when they were in the process of updating their server and to try again later.... (by then I had already installed mandriva's kde so I don't know if this would have fixed it)

Yes, I saw that in the other thread and I suspect I am caught in the same mess. The problem is something with gtk2. Line 36 in /usr/sbin/drakconf.real refers to a gtk2 library that is installed but apparently not working. I can't force a reinstall and uninstalling it would send me to striclty commandline. I might end up removing all x and x stuff and starting again. Oh, as long as it's fun, I'm good with it! :lol:

Gowater, I used to do that but am curently using Fedora core 5 with grub as my home plate. The upgrade route auto installs lilo and I really like the grub with Fedora. It's all aesthetics, though, not really an issue.

Can't you just use the repair then reinstall grub?

Seems like you would be spending less time sorting out the mandriva install ?

I'll have to reinstall. Removing and reinstalling installed lilo without my asking!! Anyway, I haven't played in a while. I have a linux box, but x won't boot up. The x init errors out. I probaly need to rename some files, but it's a lot of work! I'll get back into Fedora and instal grub from there.

Summary:

There were more special rpm's installed than I could keep track of. I finally reformatted and reinstalled Mandriva. But, now I have the Fedora grub splash working with Mandriva's grub. Ahh, choice! Fedora has a nicer grub splash, but Mandriva mechanics are nicer. Now I'm reinstalling all my icon sets.