kde repair problems

Ixthusdan

I added thac's sources to my updates, which I have found out is not a good idea. urpmi installed some rpm's that are not compatible, and I have borked kde. Here is the problem: I can't get rid of enough kde to install the original. I tried installing all of thac, but no go. Any thoughts on removing kde generically? The tools are even borked; only commandline is working. (I am using gnome right now! :lol:)

I forgot about qt. For those that might need to know, urpmi will not fix qt. You must uninstall it in order for urpmi to install the correct version of qt. Now to fix the tools.

All of the Mandriva tools are borked. I have unistalled but it fails to launch. I am looking for a list of rpm's.

This has happened to me a few times.

Usually i was able to install other packages using urpmi. My fix was urpmi smart or smart --gui or grab it ftp and install from source. Then use smart to remove,add,upgrade,or downgrade mcc. i have mirrors from easy urpmi set up for cooker, 2006, and official. Smart made it easy for me to fix my failed semi (installs,updates,upgrades).

Can you install using urpmi now?

Yes, urpmi is working. I updated my sources and disabled thac so that only the standard Mandriva rpm's are utilized. But, Having uninstalled drakxtools and reinstalled them, I still cannot get any tools to launch. I have worked from shell or kde. At least kde 3.4.2 is back up, and the admin functions work from within kde, but mcc is still borked. I must be forgetting something else.

I wasn't aware MCC required an KDE libs to work? I thought it was all perl based. Have you tried to starting MCC from a command line to see if you get any errors, and if so, what errors?

The error is from line 36 of /usr/sbin/drakconf.real Something is not created. I do not remember if perl was updated but perhaps I need to uninstall and reinstall perl? This is clearly a version conflict, first with qt and now possibly something else. mcc runs from a terminal outside of x. Hey, wait a minute, x was an mde special too, wasn't it? I think I might have to uninstall x and start over again. Yet, gnome ran fine in x, even when kde was off. mcc would not launch in gnome, either.

I think I'll just stick with the usual urpmi sources, instead of attempting sos/thacs/mde, etc. I like stability tongue.gif

i stick with the usual sources myself and am fine with it. Or anyone who doesn't. i have been cooker exclusively since 2.4 kernel and found it to be stable enough for me.

i do not see evidence the "sources" have caused the trouble here however.

Summary:

No, the problem arose when I was major updating my system. Thac's stuff was going to kde-3.5.2-9 versions, but something happened. kde stopped working. I installed gnome, which worked, but I could not get kde to work. I had a gui with no widgets and no control over window placements and odd sized borders. And, of course, Mandriva tools would not launch. Oh, yeah, konsole stopped functioning, which is why I had to go to init 3 and install gnome.

I removed all of kde (I thought) and then reinstalled, which of course found all of thac. But no go. So I removed kde again, disabled thac, and could not install due to "conflicts" with newer packages. But that was qt doing that. Removed qt, and "urpmi kdebase" installed the older qt along with kde-3.4.2. Mandriva tools are still not qorking, and I am remembering that thac also updated my x server. But x seems to work fine. I'll have time later to work on it.

In most cases auto update is a not a good idea. You loose control of what gets installed and if something goed wrong troubleshooting is a pain. Better to individually update the packages you want. If something goes wrong it´s much easier to undo the damage.