I can't believe its happened

paul

Personally I don''t see anything wrong with this or the XP themes that are out there. We keep going on about getting people off of windows etc. but for most of them the linux learning curve is pretty darn steep.

Something that looks familiar to them such as these can help wean them off of windows

I think it is rather funny. Why they would waste their time on a mimic of XP when there are many other desktop problems to be solved is a demontration of how easy it is to be stupid. What is even funnier is the that you can only install it with a script and then only on one distro. I know! Let's tell them to get apt-get or rpm to install it. Some people's kids.

Counterspy

I totally agree with phunni. It looks just like Windows ME.

If you want a really friendly "WindowsXP" look with KDE, look at the screenshots for Lycoris at their website.

Also, Xandros has blended nicely their KDE with some "Windows" look and feel. I have Xandros, but got rid of the "Windows" look since I'm a linux-nontechie, point and click, newbie, but am bored with the WinXP look and experience.

Have Mandrake 9.0 on a laptop, but not fully functional yet (sound and wireless card). I'm starting to learn a little about using the Konsole and command lines now.

Cheers,

Richard L.

Hello!

Phuni, I agree. Counterspy, I disagree.

I also think it does not look like XP. Like windows, yes, but not XP. Last time I looked at XP, I was horrified! Nothing in the GUI could hint the user as to what is clickable, and what is not (Am I understandable :? )

But I also think that Windows and Macs address some issues that Gnome/KDE/*box/*WM* still don't. Specifically, I find this project's file explorer to be wonderfull. I think that's how things should be presented to the user :!: It's all very logical, IMO:

- There's a top-folder for Trash

- There's a top-folder for inside the computer (My computer)

- There's a top-folder for outside the computer (Network)

- And finally a shortcut for the most-used place: Home.

And the computer's inside is also well organized, IMO:

- Each removable media gets its own directory

- The whole unified filesystem is refered-to as local disk (even better than windows ;-) )

- And the control panel to configure it all (the computer, the outside, and the whole universe)

(Only catch is: I don't quite get what "shared documents" and "ttm's documents" are. The latter may be Home, but then what is the difference with the top-level element "My Documents"?)

I think the Windows GUI isn't that bad. Many UI professional worked on it (until before XP, that is), and it shows. It's only too restrictive (both in capabilities, and in customizability), and the underlying OS is not my taste.

But this GUI taken as a base, with the addition of all Unix goodies ("native" virtual desktops, customizability, solid underlying OS, X11 tranparent remote networking) may very well become the killer desktop-environment.

... If only they took more attention to http://www.freedesktop.org/...

Because a non-standard desktop environment is not good, as it cannot inter-operate with applications for drag'n'drop, copy-cut-paste, menus...

Yves.

i think im the only one who cannot access xpde.com. :( ill just try later.

I'm starting to learn a little about using the Konsole and command lines now.

forego konsole and use aterm instead. its leaner and eats less resources than most terminals but almost have the same features as the best of them. you dont have the multiple terminals in a window (you can simulate that if you are using fluxbox :#:) though.

enough hijacking this thread. :mrgreen:

ciao!

In our local university bookstore I saw a book on interface design in 3.1 days and skimmed it there but it was a little to pricey now would being quite old. Now that M.I.T. is putting all of their course material on line, it would probably be worthwhile to see what they have on the subject. There is likely much on the net that Google would bring forth as well.

What I was scoffing at was the idea of duplicating XP when there are so many other interface problems in Linux to be sorted out. Now that the YinYeti has given us a positive review solving some problems, I will download it and take a look for myself. Would that Mandrakesoft spent a little more time before they make some of their ridiculous changes like "Removable Media".

Doesn't the XP interface remind you of the Chief Software Architect's "Microsoft Bob"?

Counterspy

In our local university bookstore I saw a book on interface design in 3.1 days and skimmed it there but it was a little to pricey now would being quite old. Now that M.I.T. is putting all of their course material on line, it would probably be worthwhile to see what they have on the subject. There is likely much on the net that Google would bring forth as well.

What I was scoffing at was the idea of duplicating XP when there are so many other interface problems in Linux to be sorted out. Now that the YinYeti has given us a positive review solving some problems, I will download it and take a look for myself. Would that Mandrakesoft spent a little more time before they make some of their ridiculous changes like "Removable Media".

Doesn't the XP interface remind you of the Chief Software Architect's "Microsoft Bob"? Activision did a better job with Little Computer People.

Counterspy