no sound found

Guest deepak pathak

Guest deepak pathak

i am using Mandrake 10.1 on Intel 915GV express chipset motherboard.and my sound card could not be configured. I have also tried "alsaconf" & "sndconfig".

What happens when you run alsaconf? When you reboot and press ESC to view the boot sequence, does it attempt to start alsa? Is it successful? I think probably will be intel8x0 that it's attempting to load on your system if the soundcard is AC97 or similar.

Your soundcard uses (most likely) the Intel HD chipset (snd-hda-intel) with a codec which I cannot know. What I know is that you have absolutely no chances making it working under Mandrake 10.1, even if you compile and install that latest ALSA version on it. Even if it uses a newer revision of the AC97, it shouldn't work smoothly (or at all) right out of the box.

You need kernel 2.6.11 at least, plus ALSA 1.10 RC2 or better to have sound in your laptop. To sum up: Use a newer Linux revision.

Edited by scarecrow