trouble with boot manager / multiple hard drives

Guest read83

Guest read83

I have windows xp installed on a striped raid array of two sata hard drives. I also have an independent ide hard drive with a partition for windows and a partition for linux. i am trying to get a boot manager that will work for this configuration. it was suggested that i try gag46, and it seemed to find both os's but when will only load the windows os. when i attempt to load the linux os it says it can't find the boot sector. any help is very much appreciated.

When you installed linux did you install the boot loader in the root partition? When you install the gag46 loader I remember that you press a number to select the different hard drives but when you select the letter for the drive partiton it asks a yes or no question (I don't recall the exact verbage) but I select no and it seems to work. I've never multiple booted with windows or with a raid array so I can't be much more help than this.

Cheers

I'm assuming that the independant ide is the first hard disk that the system attempts to boot from. This should be referred to as /dev/hda since it's ide.

Make sure your BIOS is set to boot from this device first. Since Windows is on here, it should already be set to do this.

Go through the install routine again, at the summary screen click the button for boot loader, and find out where it's attempting to install the boot loader. It should be to the MBR of /dev/hda. Make sure this is so, and it should then be fine.